Information What is it really?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of information and its various forms, including knowledge, truth, reliability, and junk. The speaker questions the origins of information and its limitless nature. They suggest the need for a philosophical discussion and invite the listener to share their thoughts on the topic.
Tenshou
Okay So I hear there is this thing out there called Information, have you heard about it? I wouldn't doubt that you have, I mean you, the surroundings, the landscapes all need inform... erm, are Information in some form or another, yet it doesn't have definite shape, somewhat like energy. I am curious that, if possible, state that information begets information at infinitum. If so, why is there only information in this world. Oh my, so many questions! I think there should be a philosophy forum related to this Forum (haha...), so please don't mark this as spam I think this is a good General Discussion Topic! So, please share your thoughts on what Information really is and what it can be!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's knowledge, but it can be true or false. Reliable or unreliable. It can be junk, garbage, that's mostly the kind you find on the internet. In other words, you need to be educated enough to be able to sort the wheat from the chaf.

Last edited:

1. What exactly is information?

Information is a broad term that refers to the knowledge or data that is communicated or received through various mediums. It can be in the form of words, images, symbols, or numbers.

2. How is information different from data?

Data is the raw form of information, while information is the processed and organized data that has context and meaning. In simpler terms, data is the ingredients, and information is the final dish.

3. Can information be subjective?

Yes, information can be subjective because it is influenced by individual perspectives and interpretations. For example, a news article may present information, but it can be biased based on the writer's opinions.

4. Does information have a limit?

It is debated among scientists whether information has a limit or not. Some believe that there is a finite amount of information that can exist, while others argue that it is constantly expanding and evolving.

5. How is information processed and stored?

Information is processed and stored in various ways depending on the medium. For digital information, it is typically stored and processed using computer systems and algorithms. For human memory, information is stored and retrieved through neural connections in the brain.