Why is my solution to this system producing strange results?

• Thread starter AlinaR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation is about a problem with solving a system of first-order linear differential equations using matrix exponential. The asker is having trouble with the matrix inverse and asks for help and clarification on the correct method to use. The responder directs them to their article on matrix exponential and provides an example for further clarification.
AlinaR
Good afternoon!
I have a strange results solving this problem.

x'=[3,4;-1,-1]*x+[e^t;0], with init. cond. x(0)=[1;0].

x'=Ax+(e^(mu*t))*b thus mu=1, b=[1;0]

x(t)=(e^(mu*t))((mu*I-A)^-1)*b
x(t)=e^t*(([mu,0;0,mu]-[3,4;-1,-1])^-1)*b=e^t*([-2,-4;1,2]^-1)*[1;0]
But the problem is that [-2,-4;1,2]^-1 matrix is singular to working precision.

ans =

Inf Inf
Inf Inf

Is that some typo in the matrix or am I using the wrong way to solve this type of equations?

Thank you very much for any ideas!

Alina

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. Please refer to my article in http://www.voofie.com/concept/Mathematics/" :

http://www.voofie.com/content/18/solving-system-of-first-order-linear-differential-equations-with-matrix-exponential-method/"

What you really need is matrix exponential, instead of matrix inverse. You can find example in another article:

http://www.voofie.com/content/19/a-worked-example-of-solving-system-of-first-order-linear-differential-equation/"

Last edited by a moderator:

What is an inhomogeneous system?

An inhomogeneous system is a system in which the properties or composition vary throughout the system. This can refer to a system in which the physical properties, such as temperature or density, vary spatially, or a system in which the chemical composition varies throughout.

What are some examples of inhomogeneous systems?

Some examples of inhomogeneous systems include a mixture of oil and water, a heterogeneous mixture of sand and water, and a gradient of temperature in a room.

How do inhomogeneous systems differ from homogeneous systems?

Inhomogeneous systems differ from homogeneous systems in that the properties of the system are not uniform throughout. In a homogeneous system, the properties are the same at every point in the system.

What are the applications of studying inhomogeneous systems?

Studying inhomogeneous systems is important in fields such as materials science, chemistry, and physics. It can help us understand how different materials and substances interact and how they behave under different conditions.

What techniques are used to study inhomogeneous systems?

There are various techniques used to study inhomogeneous systems, including spectroscopy, microscopy, and computational modeling. These techniques allow scientists to analyze the properties and composition of a system at different scales and levels of detail.