Laplace Transform Method for Solving Initial Value Problems

In summary: Yeah, the problem is the factor of ##s## in the denominator. You need to find the property that allows you get rid of that. Look into what the transform of the integral of f(t) is.So here's what I have so far---am i on the right track?Y(t) =2 * 1/s * 1/[(s+1)^2 + 1]L^(-1){1/[(s+1)^2 + 1]} = sint * e^(-t)Using the integral for transform... I get:y = 2 ∫ [ (from 0 to t) (e^(-t)) * sin(t) dt ]This
Aristotle

Homework Statement

Use laplace transforms to find following initial value problem -- there is no credit for partial fractions. (i assume my teacher is against using it..)

y'' + 2y' + 2y = 2 ; y(0)= y'(0) = 0

Homework Equations

table.JPG

Lf'' = ((s^2)*F) - s*f(0) - f'(0)
Lf' = sF - f(0)
Lf = F(s)

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt is of course realizing that the above equation is expressed in terms of 't'. So I must take the laplace transform on both sides.L(y'') + 2 L(y') + 2L(y) = L(2)

[s^2*Y(s) - sy(0) - y'(0) ] + 2 [ sY(s) - y(0) ] + 2*Y(s) = 2/s

[s^2*Y(s) - 0 - 0 ] + 2 [ sY(s) - 0 ] + 2*Y(s) = 2/s

s^2*Y(s) + 2s*Y(s) + 2*Y(s) = 2/s

Y(s) [s^2 + 2s + 2] = 2/s

Y(s) = 2/s * (1/ [s^2 + 2s + 2] )

= 2/s * (1 / [(s+1)^2 + 1]) (using the formula (s+(a/2)^2) + b - (a^2)/4 )

At this final step, I am lost on how to break the equation apart to solve for Y(t) using inverse laplace transform without using "Partial Fractions".
Can somebody guide me to the right direction? Thank you.
The solution according to my professor is:

y = -e^-t * sin(t) - e^-t*cos(t) + 1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you have a property which relates f(t) to F(s)/s?

vela said:
Don't you have a property which relates f(t) to F(s)/s?
Not according to the table..

Aristotle said:

Homework Statement

Use laplace transforms to find following initial value problem -- there is no credit for partial fractions. (i assume my teacher is against using it..)

y'' - 2y' + 2y = 2 ; y(0)= y'(0) = 0

Homework Equations

View attachment 91190
Lf'' = ((s^2)*F) - s*f(0) - f'(0)
Lf' = sF - f(0)
Lf = F(s)

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt is of course realizing that the above equation is expressed in terms of 't'. So I must take the laplace transform on both sides.L(y'') + 2 L(y') + 2L(y) = L(2)

[s^2*Y(s) - sy(0) - y'(0) ] + 2 [ sY(s) - y(0) ] + 2*Y(s) = 2/s

[s^2*Y(s) - 0 - 0 ] + 2 [ sY(s) - 0 ] + 2*Y(s) = 2/s

s^2*Y(s) + 2s*Y(s) + 2*Y(s) = 2/s

Y(s) [s^2 + 2s + 2] = 2/s

Y(s) = 2/s * (1/ [s^2 + 2s + 2] )

= 2/s * (1 / [(s+1)^2 + 1]) (using the formula (s+(a/2)^2) + b - (a^2)/4 )

At this final step, I am lost on how to break the equation apart to solve for Y(t) using inverse laplace transform without using "Partial Fractions".
Can somebody guide me to the right direction? Thank you.
The solution according to my professor is:

y = -e^-t * sin(t) - e^-t*cos(t) + 1
You started with this equation:
y'' - 2y' + 2y = 2

Then you took the LT of this equation:
L(y'') + 2 L(y') + 2L(y) = L(2)

Seems like you should check the signs of each term more carefully before launching into the algebra of finding F(s).

SteamKing said:
You started with this equation:
y'' - 2y' + 2y = 2

Then you took the LT of this equation:
L(y'') + 2 L(y') + 2L(y) = L(2)

Seems like you should check the signs of each term more carefully before launching into the algebra of finding F(s).

Sorry I meant to write:

y'' + 2y' + 2y = 2 ; y(0)= y'(0) = 0Still does not answer my question.

Aristotle said:
Not according to the table..
In your other thread, you used a property (the delay property) that wasn't listed in the table you posted. You want to find one of those properties.

vela said:
In your other thread, you used a property that wasn't listed in the table you posted. You want to find one of those properties.
I also tried using the shift theorem, but it still doesn't break up my equation into two or more parts.

Yeah, the problem is the factor of ##s## in the denominator. You need to find the property that allows you get rid of that. Look into what the transform of the integral of f(t) is.

When I do take account of the shift theorem...I get Y(s) = [ 2/(s-1) ]* (1/ [(s)^2 + 1])

vela said:
Yeah, the problem is the factor of ##s## in the denominator. You need to find the property that allows you get rid of that. Look into what the transform of the integral of f(t) is.

So here's what I have so far---am i on the right track?
Y(t) =
2 * 1/s * 1/[(s+1)^2 + 1]

L^(-1){1/[(s+1)^2 + 1]} = sint * e^(-t)

Using the integral for transform... I get:

y = 2 ∫ [ (from 0 to t) (e^(-t)) * sin(t) dt ]

This would mean I would have to consider using integration by parts correct?

Aristotle said:
So here's what I have so far---am i on the right track?
Y(t) =
2 * 1/s * 1/[(s+1)^2 + 1]

L^(-1){1/[(s+1)^2 + 1]} = sint * e^(-t)

Using the integral for transform... I get:

y = 2 ∫ [ (from 0 to t) (e^(-t)) * sin(t) dt ]

This would mean I would have to consider using integration by parts correct?

You can figure out that for yourself.

However, if I were doing the problem I would look instead at the IVP for ##z(t) = y(t) - 1##, because it has a homogeneous DE but with nonzero initial value. The effect of that would be to replace the ##1/s## in the transform by ##s##; that is, it would move the ##s## from the denominator into the numerator, and that would mean we could replace integration by differentiation when getting the final result for ##y(t) = z(t) + 1##.

Last edited:
I am going to jump in here with both feet to again vent my dislike for the "Laplace transform" method. It is far easier to solve this problem by observing that the characteristic equation is [itex]r^2+ 2r+ 2= 0[/itex] so [itex]r^2+ 2r+ 1= (r+ 1)^2= -1[/itex] and the roots are 1+i and 1- I. The general solution to the related homogeneous equation is [itex]e^t(C_1 cos(t)+ C_2 sin(t)[/itex]. And y= 1 satisfies the entire equation so that the general solution to the entire equation is [itex]e^t(C_1 cos(t)+ C_2 sin(t)+ 1[/itex]. [itex]y(0)= C_1+ 1[/itex] so [itex]C_1= -1[/itex] and [tex]y'(0)= -1+ C_2= 0[/itex] so C_2= 1. There wasn't that much easier?

It looks to me like the "Laplace transform" method gives Engineering students the illusion of a purely mechanical method where the can look the answer up in a table!

Again, I will ask, can anyone give an example of a differential equation that can be done more simply by using the Laplace transform?

HallsofIvy said:
I am going to jump in here with both feet to again vent my dislike for the "Laplace transform" method. It is far easier to solve this problem by observing that the characteristic equation is [itex]r^2+ 2r+ 2= 0[/itex] so [itex]r^2+ 2r+ 1= (r+ 1)^2= -1[/itex] and the roots are 1+i and 1- I. The general solution to the related homogeneous equation is [itex]e^t(C_1 cos(t)+ C_2 sin(t)[/itex]. And y= 1 satisfies the entire equation so that the general solution to the entire equation is [itex]e^t(C_1 cos(t)+ C_2 sin(t)+ 1[/itex]. [itex]y(0)= C_1+ 1[/itex] so [itex]C_1= -1[/itex] and [tex]y'(0)= -1+ C_2= 0[/itex] so C_2= 1. There wasn't that much easier?

It looks to me like the "Laplace transform" method gives Engineering students the illusion of a purely mechanical method where the can look the answer up in a table!

Again, I will ask, can anyone give an example of a differential equation that can be done more simply by using the Laplace transform?

Why does this matter? The fellow was given an assignment to solve some IVPs using the Laplace Transform method. He was required to do it; he was not given a choice.

Last edited:
Likes Aristotle
For this thread, yes. But that raises the question "Why is the Laplace Transform method taught at all?" My opinion is what I said before- it gives engineers a "mechanical" way of treating differential equations.

HallsofIvy said:
For this thread, yes. But that raises the question "Why is the Laplace Transform method taught at all?" My opinion is what I said before- it gives engineers a "mechanical" way of treating differential equations.

And this is wrong, why? The engineer's main job is to do engineering, not math, and convenient tools that can help are not necessarily a bad thing. Besides, I suspect it is used primarily in the non-homogeneous case as an alternative to the method of undetermined coefficients or Green's function methods.

Anyway, even if we did not use Laplace transforms for solving constant-coefficient linear DEs (the only kind for which the method works at all well!) they would still be invaluable in many other fields of application, such as stochastic process/probability theory, where they allow solution of problems that are very likely impossible to solve any other way. The Queueing Theory and Markov process literature have Laplace transforms falling off every page, just about.

Last edited:

1. What is a Laplace transform IVP?

A Laplace transform IVP (initial value problem) is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations. It involves transforming a function from the time domain to the complex frequency domain, making it easier to solve the differential equation.

2. How is a Laplace transform IVP different from a regular IVP?

A Laplace transform IVP is different because it uses the Laplace transform to solve the differential equation, while a regular IVP uses traditional methods such as separation of variables or integrating factors.

3. What is the process for solving an IVP using Laplace transforms?

The process involves taking the Laplace transform of both sides of the differential equation, solving for the transformed function, and then using inverse Laplace transforms to find the solution in the time domain. The initial conditions are also used to find the constants of integration.

4. What types of differential equations can be solved using Laplace transforms?

Laplace transforms can be used to solve linear differential equations with constant coefficients. They can also be used to solve systems of differential equations and partial differential equations.

5. What are the advantages of using Laplace transforms to solve IVPs?

Laplace transforms can simplify the process of solving differential equations, especially for more complex equations. They can also be used to solve equations with discontinuous or piecewise functions, which can be difficult using traditional methods. Additionally, Laplace transforms can be used to solve problems in engineering and physics, making them a valuable tool for practical applications.