1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Initial velocity to get from on known position to another?

1. Sep 26, 2016 #1
    I have a problem where I need to figure out the initial velocity vector [itex] \vec{v_0} [/itex] of a projectile, in order for it to land at the final position [itex]\vec{r_f} = x_f\hat{x} + y_f\hat{y} + z_f\hat{z}[/itex], from initial position [itex]\vec{r_0}[/itex].
    ___

The only knowns in the problem are [itex]\vec{r_0}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r_f}[/itex]. Air resistance is neglected, so the the components of the net force on the projectile are

[itex]m\ddot{x} = 0[/itex]

[itex]m\ddot{y} = 0[/itex]

[itex]m\ddot{z} = -mg[/itex]

So really we can choose any launch angle [itex]\phi[/itex], and find the necessary [itex]|\vec{v}|[/itex], or the other way around, to land us at [itex]\vec{r_f}[/itex]. I think it sounds easier to choose a [itex]\phi[/itex] and then find [itex]|\vec{v}|[/itex]. So, I examine the limiting cases...
    ____

Let's say [itex]d[/itex] is the the distance between the initial and final positions in the [itex]x[/itex]-[itex]y[/itex] plane, that is;

[itex]d = |x_f\hat{x} + y_f\hat{y}|[/itex]

and that [itex]h[/itex] is the desired final height, [itex]h = z_f[/itex].

Then the angle [itex]\theta[/itex] measured form the [itex]x[/itex]-[itex]y[/itex] plane to a line connecting [itex](x_0, y_0 ,z_0)[/itex] to [itex](x_f, y_f, z_f)[/itex] is smiply

[itex]\theta = \arctan{\dfrac{h}{d}}[/itex]

So, our limiting cases are:

[itex]\phi \rightarrow \theta; |\vec{v_0}| \rightarrow \infty[/itex]

[itex]\phi \rightarrow \dfrac{\pi}{2}; |\vec{v_0}| \rightarrow \infty[/itex]
    ___

So I can choose any angle between [itex]\dfrac{\pi}{2}[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex], though angles close to those values will necessitate a very large initial velocity. My question is, how do I go from here, to determining [itex]|\vec{v_0}|[/itex]? If I choose a [itex]\phi[/itex], how do I find a velocity that will get me to [itex]\vec{r_f}[/itex]? It would seem that I need some function of [itex]v_0[/itex] in terms of both [itex]\phi[/itex] (known, after choosing), and [itex]\vec{r_f}[/itex]. Am I severely over thinknig this?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You don't go from there. Knowing the range of angles is not much help.
    Just suppose the flight time is t and write an expression for where it will be at time t.

4. Sep 26, 2016 #3

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The trajectory is a parabola. You know 2 points on it, and the slope (1st deviate) at one of them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted