1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inner product of two spherical functions

1. Feb 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all.

The inner product between two functions f(x) and g(x) is defined as:

[tex]
    <f | g> = \int f^*(x)g(x) dx,
    [/tex]

where the * denotes the complex conjugate. Now if my functions f and g are functions of r, theta and phi (i.e. they are written in spherical coordinates), is the volume element then given as [itex]drd\theta d\phi[/itex] or [itex]r^2\sin \theta drd\theta d\phi[/itex]?

3. The attempt at a solution

I personally think the last, because originally we have <f(x,y,z) | g(x,y,z)>, which we convert to spherical coordinates, so we need the Jacobian. Am I correct?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2009 #2
    Putting [tex]h(x,y,z) = f^\ast(x,y,z)g(x,y,z)[/tex], we have

[tex]\int\int\int h(x,y,z) dz \, dy\, dx = \int\int\int h(r\cos{\theta}\sin{\phi}, r\sin{\theta}\sin{\phi}, r\cos{\phi}) r^2{\underbrace{\sin{\phi}}_{\text{not $\theta$}} dr \, d\theta\, d\phi[/tex]

with appropriate limits, as per usual. That is all your question appears to boil down to, Niles.

4. Feb 5, 2009 #3
    Then I was correct. Thanks for replying!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook