Inputting tan-1(-5/2) on a Calculator

• Thread starter dankelly08
  • Start date
In summary, when typing in tan-1(-5/2) (or any negative number) on a calculator, there is usually a separate key for negative numbers, often labeled with a short dash in parentheses. For the -1, there is also a separate key, such as Second + Tan on a TI calculator. It's important to note that "tan-1" should be considered as a single function, not as x-1 = 1/x.
dankelly08
how do you type in,

tan-1(-5/2) (or any negative number)

on the calculator?? or just work it out?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you talking about the (-5/2)? Most calculators have a separate key for that, which usually has something like "(-)" printed on it (a short dash in parentheses), rather than the normal (longer) minus sign "[itex]{}-{}[/itex]".

If you are referring to the -1: there should again be a separate key. On my TI calculator it is Second + Tan, just find where is says tan-1, atan, arctan, or something like that. Note that you should consider "tan-1" as a single function, it's not something like x-1 = 1/x, for which you can write in general x-n = 1/xn. Instead, it is defined by tan-1(tan(x)) = x.

Yeah I got it, thanks alot! it was(+/-)

I spent a full hour trying to figure that out lol..:redface:

1. What does tan-1(-5/2) represent?

The expression tan-1(-5/2) represents the inverse tangent function of -5/2. In other words, it is the angle whose tangent is -5/2.

2. How do I input tan-1(-5/2) on a calculator?

To input tan-1(-5/2) on a calculator, you will need to press the "tan-1" or "inverse tangent" button, followed by the number -5/2. This will give you the value of the inverse tangent of -5/2 in radians or degrees, depending on your calculator's settings.

3. What is the numerical value of tan-1(-5/2)?

The numerical value of tan-1(-5/2) is approximately -0.98279 radians or -56.30993 degrees, depending on your calculator's settings.

4. Can I use a calculator to find the exact value of tan-1(-5/2)?

No, a calculator can only give you an approximate value for tan-1(-5/2). To find the exact value, you will need to use trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation.

5. Is it necessary to include parentheses when inputting tan-1(-5/2) on a calculator?

Yes, it is important to include parentheses when inputting tan-1(-5/2) on a calculator. This ensures that the calculator accurately calculates the inverse tangent of -5/2 instead of the inverse tangent of -5 divided by 2.