Inquiry about proofs involving families of sets

In summary, when dealing with families of sets, the use of the term "nonempty" in the hypothesis of a theorem can vary depending on the specific context and requirements of the proof. In some cases, it is necessary to ensure the desired result, while in others it may not be necessary at all. It is important to carefully consider the context when working with families of sets in order to determine the appropriate use of this term.
Syrus

Homework Statement

This post does not concern a particular problem or exercise, but instead a peculiarity (for me) in one genre: proofs involving families of sets (that is, sets containing sets as elements). I have noticed that in some statements of theorems which involve families of sets, the hypothesis includes " let F and G be families of sets," whereas in others, the hypothesis is slightly altered to: "let F and G be nonempty families of sets." I have included two theorems (which I have already proven) as examples of this:

1. Suppose F and G are nonempty families of sets. Prove that U(F U G) = (UF) U (UG).

2. Suppose F and G are families of sets. Prove that U(F ∩ G) ⊆ (UF) ∩ (UG).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The difference obviously regards some property about the empty set. My original thought was that being nonempty allowed for the assertion of F or G containing some set- which arises during the course of the proof of 1. That is, x ∈ U(F U G) means there is some A ∈ F U G for which x ∈ A. But then, however, i noticed that the proof of theorem 2. also asserts the existence of some set which is an element of F (and G), without the "nonempty" portion of the hypothesis being present. Could this simply be a mistake on the part of the author, or am i missing a notion here?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to your question is that it depends on the context. For example, in theorem 1, the hypothesis of F and G being nonempty is necessary because the union of empty sets is an empty set, so you would not get the desired result without at least one nonempty set. On the other hand, for theorem 2, the hypothesis of F and G being nonempty is not necessary because the intersection of empty sets is also an empty set, so no additional conditions on F and G are needed. Thus, it depends on the specific theorem you are trying to prove as to whether or not the "nonempty" condition is necessary.

What is meant by "families of sets" in mathematical proofs?

"Families of sets" refers to a collection of sets that share certain characteristics or properties. These sets can be related or overlapping in some way, and are often used in mathematical proofs to demonstrate relationships or patterns between different sets.

How are families of sets used in mathematical proofs?

Families of sets can be used in mathematical proofs in several ways. They can help to illustrate relationships between different sets, show patterns or trends, or provide evidence for a particular argument or hypothesis. They can also be used to generalize a concept to a larger collection of sets.

What are some common types of families of sets used in proofs?

Some common types of families of sets used in proofs include power sets (sets of all possible subsets of a given set), countable sets (sets that can be put in a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers), and infinite sets (sets with an uncountable number of elements).

How can one determine the validity of a proof involving families of sets?

To determine the validity of a proof involving families of sets, one can carefully examine the logical steps and assumptions made in the proof. It is important to ensure that all statements and conclusions are based on sound logic and evidence, and that there are no errors or fallacies in the reasoning.

Are there any limitations or challenges when working with families of sets in proofs?

Yes, there are some limitations and challenges when working with families of sets in proofs. One challenge is ensuring that all relevant sets are included in the family, as it is possible to overlook a set that is important in the proof. Additionally, working with infinite sets can also pose challenges, as their properties and relationships may not always be intuitive or easy to prove.