Inrush in Transformer at no load

In summary, the conversation revolves around simulating the inrush current in a transformer at no load using the software Powerfactory. The person has successfully obtained the magnetization current, but is confused when drawing the phase current. They question how it is possible for the phase current to be smaller than the magnetization current, and ask for clarification. The picture shared is a simulation of normal operation with no load, and the person mentions that there is no connection event, indicating that it is not truly the inrush current. They also express confusion about the difference between the magnetization current and the phase current. They ask for help from others in understanding this concept.
Daniel Fuente
I am trying to simulate the inrush current in a transformer when it is at no load, using the software Powerfactory.

I get the Magnetization current, and it is what I was expecting.
But I get confused when I draw the phase current, because as the trafo is at no load... should not be the same the magnetization current and the phase current?

How is possible that the phase current is smaller than the magnetization current?
I don´t understand that.

Someone can help?

Thanks everyone

Attachments

• EMT_MagnetizationReactance.jpg
    EMT_MagnetizationReactance.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 549
  • dudapf.jpg
    dudapf.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 496
Engineering news on Phys.org
The picture is the simulation of the normal operation with no load.
That is not really the inrush current becouse there is no connection event.
The thing is that I don´t understand what exactly is the difference between the magnetization current and the phase current.

What is inrush in transformer at no load?

Inrush in transformer at no load refers to the sudden surge of current that occurs when a transformer is energized without any load connected to it.

What causes inrush in transformer at no load?

Inrush in transformer at no load is caused by the magnetization of the transformer core. When the transformer is first energized, the core must establish a magnetic field, which requires a high initial current.

What are the effects of inrush in transformer at no load?

The effects of inrush in transformer at no load can include mechanical stress on the transformer components, increased noise and vibration, and voltage fluctuations. It can also cause nuisance tripping of protective devices.

How can inrush in transformer at no load be mitigated?

Inrush in transformer at no load can be mitigated by using a pre-magnetizing circuit, which gradually energizes the transformer and reduces the initial surge of current. Other methods include using a properly sized transformer and installing surge arresters to protect against voltage fluctuations.

How is inrush in transformer at no load different from inrush at full load?

Inrush in transformer at no load occurs when the transformer is energized without any load connected, while inrush at full load occurs when the transformer is energized with a load connected. Inrush at full load is typically lower in magnitude compared to inrush at no load.