Surviving Water Droplets: Insects and Spiders

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Insects
In summary: Including spiders. Different scale, different forces ratio. Plus right combination of hydrophobicity and surface tension. If you want to drown the spider (or any other insect), don't use just water - use water with some detergent.In summary, spiders survive being hit by huge water droplets because they have a spidey sense that warns them in time.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
How do they survive from being hit by (to them) huge water droplets.

I just tried to wash a spider down the shower, and the little sod resisted my efforts and scampered away.

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:

I just tried to wash a spider down the shower, and the little sod resisted my efforts and scampered away.

If I slipped a 100-kg pillow of soft down onto your head, would you survive that?

Besides, spiders are evil, and therefore, immortal. :smile:

arildno said:
If I slipped a 100-kg pillow of soft down onto your head, would you survive that?

Immortalized in "Itsy Bitsy Spider", IIR.

arildno said:

This is the answer I have been seeking!

Even if someone were to dump a 100L barrel of water on your head all at once, I doubt you would die. Why would you expect any different from a spider?

Ants are experts at fitting into the grooves in your shoes. You could step on one a bajillion times and still not kill it.

wolram said:

You could have at least offered him a teeny bar of soap.

I'm glad I'm not a spider...can you imagine shaving all those legs?

:rofl:

I think that just before the water hits 'em, their spidey sense tingles.

lisab said:
You could have at least offered him a teeny bar of soap.

I'm glad I'm not a spider...can you imagine shaving all those legs?

I thought their legs don't have hairs :confused:Killing them with water droplets is more like a torture as they don't get killed instantly. I prefer to swat them. If I were a spider I would also like a strong swat over big water droplets.

rootX said:
I prefer to swat them.
Don't kill spiders. They eat worse pests. In my house they eat rats.

Jimmy Snyder said:

Do you have one of those bird eating tarantulas or something as a pet, or do you just live in Chernobyl?

Jimmy Snyder said:
In my house, they eat me. I was bitten by a recluse spider and have a small crater in my calf from the bite that finally stopped oozing after close to a year. The pain was excrutiating.

Jimmy Snyder said:
In my house they eat rats.

Holy mother of pearl!

Just nail 'em when they fall.

[URL]http://www.failfunnies.com/images/gif/spidey-fail.gif[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Different scale, different forces ratio. Plus right combination of hydrophobicity and surface tension. If you want to drown the spider (or any other insect), don't use just water - use water with some detergent.

Evo said:
In my house, they eat me. I was bitten by a recluse spider and have a small crater in my calf from the bite that finally stopped oozing after close to a year. The pain was excrutiating.

As I said, they are evil. Worse than the Nazgul. I'm glad, but not surprised, you survived your encounter, Evo. :smile:

Jimmy Snyder said:

Holy heck, if I saw a spider in my house large enough to eat a rat I would crap myself!
I say this as a grown, able bodied man.

Evo said:

The same thing happened to my sister, she still has a wicked scar and you can see the gap it left in the muscle. A guy at boot camp got bitten three or four times on his back while sleeping. He was in the hospital for months and ended up getting discharged with full disability. It changed his quality of life. Brown recluses are no joke - awful stuff.

Talking about spiders is making my skin crawl a little.
(Now that I think about it I guess my fear is selective, I hate them and will freak out when one touches me, but my girlfriend doesn't like them and when I saw one on her arm last weakend I picked it up real quick and threw it on the ground. I told her it was a beetle... then I checked to make sure it didn't somehow climb back on me. I hate the annoying little necessary bastards.)

NeoDevin said:
Even if someone were to dump a 100L barrel of water on your head all at once, I doubt you would die. Why would you expect any different from a spider?

Water can crush a car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj3sIFtfb4g

leroyjenkens said:
Water can crush a car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj3sIFtfb4g
The spider would survive, though! :smile:

Borek said:
If you want to drown the spider (or any other insect), don't use just water - use water with some detergent.

or Windex :biggrin:
windex.jpg

Soapy water kills ants REAL fast.

I read that soapy water kills all stages of flea

HeLiXe said:
I read that soapy water kills all stages of flea

Could be, although I am not absolutely sure.

Trick is soapy water has a low surface tension and it easily wets surfaces. That means it can enter trachea and suffocate/drown the insect. That easily kills both adults and larvae, but no idea about eggs.

Rubbing alcohol works very fast when exterminating insects.

I find it amusing that a "why insects survive" thread has now turned into a "how to kill the bug" thread".

In Aus., we would try to encourage the more massive spiders to go outside. Once, one of these must have slipped on the way out through the window, and fell 8 stories. We heard a thud as it hit the concrete below.

Last edited:
Evo said:
In my house, they eat me. I was bitten by a recluse spider
Sorry, honey. That was me. The bite was a malfunction of the spider costume, in no way indicative of my designs upon you. If you had just unzipped me, as I asked, instead of going into hysterics, I would have administered the antidote poste haste.

As Borek mentioned, the scale brings things into a level of physicality that doesn't apply to us as large mammals. You can, for instance, drop an ant from 2 metres and it won't even notice. That's because its terminal velocity is essentially the same as that of a man in a parachute. In addition, any insect is pretty much a bundle of muscle encased in a nearly impervious exoskeleton. I think that the same applies to arachnids such as spiders and scorpions.
Another thing to remember is that insect/arachnid respiration is not the same as that of mammals. While they need oxygen, their method of obtaining it is significantly different. Basically, they breathe through their skin. There are no lungs, trachea, throat, etc. to contend with.

Borek said:
Different scale, different forces ratio. Plus right combination of hydrophobicity and surface tension. If you want to drown the spider (or any other insect), don't use just water - use water with some detergent.

Makes me think of this once time when I found a centipede in the bathroom. I picked it up and then poured acetone on it until it stopped moving.

... Will I become a serial killer?

TubbaBlubba said:
I picked it up and then poured acetone on it until it stopped moving.

... Will I become a serial killer?

Or you could pour acetone on a bowl of Captain Crunch and become a cereal killer...

Next time use HOT water. If a spider gets into my shower, it will NOT live. There are a lot of places I can tolerate spiders, and the shower is not one of them. I don't take any chances, if they don't drown or don't get washed down the drain, they're going to get cooked...I run only the hot water on spiders.

1. How do insects and spiders survive on water droplets?

Insects and spiders have adapted various physical and behavioral mechanisms to survive on water droplets. Some have hydrophobic hairs or waxy coatings that repel water, allowing them to walk on the surface of water. Others have specialized legs that distribute their weight evenly on the water's surface, preventing them from sinking. Some species also have the ability to secrete oils or air bubbles that help them float on water droplets.

2. Can insects and spiders drown in water droplets?

While insects and spiders have evolved ways to survive on water droplets, they can still drown if they are submerged for too long. Water droplets provide a temporary source of moisture for these creatures, but they still need to return to solid ground to breathe and regulate their body temperature.

3. Do insects and spiders use water droplets as a source of hydration?

Yes, insects and spiders can use water droplets as a source of hydration. Some species, such as water striders, have the ability to extract water from the surface tension of water droplets. Others may drink from dew or raindrops that collect on plants or other surfaces.

4. How do insects and spiders find water droplets in the wild?

Insects and spiders have a keen sense of smell and can detect the presence of water droplets through chemical cues. They may also be attracted to areas with high humidity, as this increases the likelihood of finding water droplets. Some species also use visual cues, such as shiny surfaces, to locate water droplets.

5. Are there any risks associated with insects and spiders living on water droplets?

While living on water droplets may provide a temporary source of hydration and protection for insects and spiders, it also comes with risks. These creatures are vulnerable to predators while on the water's surface, and they may also be at risk of being washed away or exposed to harsh weather conditions. Additionally, water droplets may not provide enough nutrients for long-term survival, so insects and spiders still need to seek out other sources of food and water.