Inserting Figures in pdftex

• Thread starter darkchild
  • Start date
If you are using the \includegraphicx command, make sure that you specify the correct format in the preamble. In summary, if you are having trouble inserting a non-photographic image into your pdftex document using TeXnicCenter, make sure that the image file is in the same directory as your .tex file or that you are using the correct path to locate the file. Also, double check that your image file is in the correct format and that you are using the appropriate command to insert the image.
darkchild

Homework Statement

I am using the TeXnicCenter editor, and I cannot figure out how to insert a non-photographic image into my pdftex document. I have the image saved in the same folder as the .tex file. In fact, I have the image there in .eps, .pdf, and .png format, just to make sure I have the right format. No matter what I do, I keep getting the build error:

! Package pdftex.def Error: File `\color@endgroup .png' not found.

I don't know what this error means. I looked in the program folder for mikTex (which is...sort of the engine TeXnikCenter uses to build, I'm not sure what to call it), and, sure enough, there isn't anything called \color@endgroup .png there, but what is it and where can I get it?

I have tried both
\usepackage[pdftex]{graphicx}
and
\usepackage{graphicx}

in the preamble. Where the figures needs to be, I have

\begin{figure}[h]
\centering
\caption[Figure 1]
\includegraphics[width=10 cm, height=10 cm]{valleyOfStability}
\end{figure}

The image is named valleyOfStability. I've tried typing both with and without the various file extensions. I've tried leaving out the options in brackets before the file name.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is probably related to the fact that the image file is not in the same directory as the .tex file. You need to make sure that the image file is in the same directory as your .tex file, or use an absolute or relative path to indicate where the image is located. Another possible issue is that the image file is in the wrong format. The preamble should indicate which format your image file needs to be in, and you need to make sure that your image file is in that format. For example, if the preamble specifies pdftex, then the image file needs to be in .pdf format. If the preamble specifies xetex, then the image file needs to be in .eps format. Finally, make sure that you are using the correct command to insert the image. If you are using the \includegraphics command, make sure that you specify the correct options in brackets before the file name.

Question 1: How do I insert a figure in pdftex?

To insert a figure in pdftex, you need to use the "graphicx" package. First, include this package in your document's preamble by adding the \usepackage{graphicx} command. Then, use the \includegraphics{image_file} command within your document where you want the figure to appear. Make sure to specify the correct file path and name for the image file.

Question 2: Can I resize the inserted figure in pdftex?

Yes, you can resize the figure by adding optional arguments to the \includegraphics{image_file} command. For example, you can use \includegraphics[width=0.5\textwidth]{image_file} to resize the figure to half the width of the text. You can also use other units such as height or scale to resize the figure accordingly.

Question 3: How can I add a caption and label to my figure in pdftex?

To add a caption and label to your figure, you can use the \caption{caption_text} command after the \includegraphics{image_file} command. This will add a caption below the figure. To add a label, use the \label{fig:label_name} command before the caption command. You can then refer to this label in your document using the \ref{fig:label_name} command.

Question 4: Can I insert multiple figures in pdftex?

Yes, you can insert multiple figures in pdftex by using the subfigure package. This allows you to include multiple figures in a single figure environment and add sub-captions and labels for each figure. Alternatively, you can also use the subcaption package to achieve the same result.

Question 5: How do I position the figure in a specific location in pdftex?

To position the figure in a specific location, you can use the optional arguments for the \begin{figure} environment. For example, you can use \begin{figure}[h] to place the figure in the current location in the document. Other options include t for top, b for bottom, and p for a separate page dedicated to figures. You can also use the \centering command within the figure environment to center the figure.