Did Carmen Segarra Face Retaliation at the New York Fed for Legal Compliance?

• News
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary, the release of the Fed tapes shines a light on the culture of deference at the New York Fed and the Obama Administration's reluctance to prosecute those who caused the financial crisis. The tapes also show how the Fed was soft on Goldman Sachs and other banks during and after the financial collapse.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
When Carmen Segarra did her work the way she is legally required to do so, she faced intimidation then ultimately termination.

http://www.propublica.org/article/carmen-segarras-secret-recordings-from-inside-new-york-fed
Inside the New York Fed: Secret Recordings and a Culture Clash

A confidential report and a fired examiner’s hidden recorder penetrate the cloistered world of Wall Street’s top regulator—and its history of deference to banks.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/536/the-secret-recordings-of-carmen-segarra
http://podcast.thisamericanlife.org/podcast/536.mp3 Just wow!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Even more troubling is the IRS' deference at doing the political bidding of the Obama Administration against private citizens and political organizations not aligned with the Democratic Party. (see Lois Lerner, she of the mysteriously crashing hard drive, lost e-mails, etc.)

I agree with SteamKing; there is a pattern of picking and choosing which laws to follow and who they will be enforced against by this administration. I am amazed that the media doesn't get its teeth into this.

Vanadium 50 said:
I agree with SteamKing; there is a pattern of picking and choosing which laws to follow and who they will be enforced against by this administration. I am amazed that the media doesn't get its teeth into this.

Wow that was a quick hijacking of the OP. No Press ? Fox News has been all over this like flies on poo.

Well, you have Fox News, and then you have ABCCBSNBCMSNBC, which have all provided cover to the administration/looked the other way for some time. You definitely do not see the same adversarial posture which the major media outlets took with the administration of G.W. Bush. Even after it was revealed the Administration was secretly collecting the records of the cell phone calls of various AP reporters, there was a brief flurry of notice and then ... deafening silence, especially since this disclosure occurred in a presidential election year (2012).

SteamKing said:
Even more troubling is the IRS' deference at doing the political bidding of the Obama Administration against private citizens and political organizations not aligned with the Democratic Party. (see Lois Lerner, she of the mysteriously crashing hard drive, lost e-mails, etc.)

More troubling?? Nothing could be more troubling that the fact that the fed covered for the bankers during and after the financial collapse. The Fed tapes were released in Sept., but they are coming back again big time. As for the IRS deal,,,get over it. How many hearings have we had now?

Turns out Wall Street banks weren’t the only cause of the 2008 financial crisis, the worst economic collapse since the Great Depression. The Federal Reserve, the nation’s central bank, also played a previously unknown role, and an unusual whistle-blower has the goods to prove it.

The recordings, detailed in an explosive story on Friday by ProPublica and NPR, are a bombshell that sweeps back some of the veil of secrecy surrounding the Fed’s handling of the financial crisis to expose a culture of deference toward Wall Street, institutional paralysis and a culture averse to speaking up and challenging conventions.

http://www.newsweek.com/tapes-show-how-fed-was-soft-goldman-sachs-273685

SteamKing said:
Well, you have Fox News, and then you have ABCCBSNBCMSNBC, which have all provided cover to the administration/looked the other way for some time. You definitely do not see the same adversarial posture which the major media outlets took with the administration of G.W. Bush. Even after it was revealed the Administration was secretly collecting the records of the cell phone calls of various AP reporters, there was a brief flurry of notice and then ... deafening silence, especially since this disclosure occurred in a presidential election year (2012).

Parts of that may be true but it could have never crashed the economy. Oranges and apples.

We need to reduce the regulatory burden for small businesses and do a better job of enforcing regulations for large ones. I hate to be a pessimist, but I am extremely doubtful that this problem is limited to the fed.

Edit: ABC, CBS, and NBC are mysteriously silent on the issue. The Huffington Post had a link to the story a little ways down on their front page. Fox News had it, but I didn't see it on their home page. It was on CNN, but you had to go looking for it.

Last edited:
edward said:
More troubling?? Nothing could be more troubling that the fact that the fed covered for the bankers during and after the financial collapse. The Fed tapes were released in Sept., but they are coming back again big time. As for the IRS deal,,,get over it. How many hearings have we had now?

IMO, not nearly enough.

The whole of the administration has been busy pointing out squirrels, here and there, to distract the media, and where is the investigation by the DOJ or the Inspector General for the US Treasury? Lois Lerner has lawyered up and taken the Fifth, and the IRS Commissioner is busy doing damage control.
The Commissioner was recently quoted, in testimony before Congress, that agency hard drives continue to crash. It's like, "Dang! There goes another one," has become business as usual at the IRS, which is now not only charged with administering the federal tax code, but also has enforcement and administrative functions relating to the implementing of the Affordable Care Act.

By and large, the IRS has been charged with investigating groups aligned with the political right. What would happen, in some future administration, should the pendulum swing in the other direction, and groups from the political left are harassed by the IRS on orders from the administration? Faster than you could say "chilling effect on free speech" or "Richard M. Nixon", there would be a tremendous hue and cry raised up.

I'm sorry, I understand that a system of taxation is necessary to run a government, but when the administrators of that system take sides politically, everyone's freedom to dissent or to form political associations to make their views known to the government is put at risk, which is unacceptable in a free society.

SteamKing said:
IMO, not nearly enough.

The whole of the administration has been busy pointing out squirrels, here and there, to distract the media, and where is the investigation by the DOJ or the Inspector General for the US Treasury? Lois Lerner has lawyered up and taken the Fifth, and the IRS Commissioner is busy doing damage control.
The Commissioner was recently quoted, in testimony before Congress, that agency hard drives continue to crash. It's like, "Dang! There goes another one," has become business as usual at the IRS, which is now not only charged with administering the federal tax code, but also has enforcement and administrative functions relating to the implementing of the Affordable Care Act.

By and large, the IRS has been charged with investigating groups aligned with the political right. What would happen, in some future administration, should the pendulum swing in the other direction, and groups from the political left are harassed by the IRS on orders from the administration? Faster than you could say "chilling effect on free speech" or "Richard M. Nixon", there would be a tremendous hue and cry raised up.

I'm sorry, I understand that a system of taxation is necessary to run a government, but when the administrators of that system take sides politically, everyone's freedom to dissent or to form political associations to make their views known to the government is put at risk, which is unacceptable in a free society.

So perhaps you should start a thread on the IRS scandal and not hijack this one. I realize that a lot of people are frustrated about the IRS. Yet in comparison to the OP it is still oranges and apples, just more oranges and apples.

Last edited:

What is "Inside the New York Fed"?

"Inside the New York Fed" is an online publication that provides insights and information about the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, one of 12 regional Reserve Banks in the United States.

What kind of information can I find in "Inside the New York Fed"?

"Inside the New York Fed" covers a wide range of topics related to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, including monetary policy, financial stability, bank supervision, and economic research. It also includes interviews with experts and behind-the-scenes looks at the bank's operations.

Is "Inside the New York Fed" a reliable source of information?

Yes, "Inside the New York Fed" is a reliable source of information. It is produced by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, which is a trusted and respected institution responsible for implementing monetary policy, supervising and regulating banks, and promoting financial stability in the United States.

Can I access "Inside the New York Fed" for free?

Yes, "Inside the New York Fed" is a free online publication available to the public. It can be accessed through the Federal Reserve Bank of New York's website or by subscribing to their email list for updates.

Can "Inside the New York Fed" help me understand the Federal Reserve and its role in the economy?

Yes, "Inside the New York Fed" can provide valuable insights and information about the Federal Reserve and its role in the economy. It is a great resource for anyone interested in learning more about how the central bank operates and its impact on the financial system.