Inspirational Physics/Math Books for High Schoolers & Grad Students

• Thread starter covariance
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation is about finding books that can ignite a passion for physics and math in high school students or reignite that passion in graduate students who may have lost it. The suggested books include "What Is Mathematics?" by Courant and Robbins, "The Man Who Loved Only Numbers" by Hoffman, any of the Feynman autobiographies, "Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman," "1, 2, 3... infinity" by George Gamow, and "Chaos" by James Gleick.
covariance
I'm looking for a list of books that may be used to either instill a passion for physics/math in high schoolers (leading them to pursue higher studies in the field), or to rekindle the snuffed flames in jaded graduate students. I have posed this question primarily to recover from my 4th year burn-out, although I'll carry forth the suggestions to my former high school physics and math teachers as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Courant and Robbins, "What Is Mathematics?"

"The Man Who Loved Only Numbers" by Hoffman, and any of the Feynman autobiographies.

Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

"Chaos" by James Gleick is a good one.

Related to Inspirational Physics/Math Books for High Schoolers & Grad Students

What are some good inspirational physics/math books for high schoolers?

Some good inspirational physics/math books for high schoolers include "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" by Richard Feynman, "The Code Book" by Simon Singh, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, "The Joy of x" by Steven Strogatz, and "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking.

What are some recommended inspirational physics/math books for graduate students?

Recommended inspirational physics/math books for graduate students include "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell, "The Road to Reality" by Roger Penrose, "The Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene, "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, and "Mathematics: From the Birth of Numbers" by Jan Gullberg.

Are there any inspirational physics/math books that are suitable for both high schoolers and graduate students?

Yes, there are some inspirational physics/math books that are suitable for both high schoolers and graduate students. These include "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Stephen Hawking, "Black Holes and Time Warps" by Kip Thorne, "The Hidden Reality" by Brian Greene, "The Mathematical Universe" by Max Tegmark, and "The Quantum Universe" by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw.

Do inspirational physics/math books only focus on theoretical concepts?

No, there are also many inspirational physics/math books that focus on practical applications and real-world examples. Some examples include "The Physics of Everyday Phenomena" by W. Thomas Griffith and Juliet Brosing, "The Code Book" by Simon Singh, "A Beautiful Mind" by Sylvia Nasar, "The Man Who Loved Only Numbers" by Paul Hoffman, and "The Paradox of Choice" by Barry Schwartz.

Are there any inspirational physics/math books that are written by female authors?

Yes, there are many inspirational physics/math books written by female authors. Some examples include "A Mind for Numbers" by Barbara Oakley, "Hidden Figures" by Margot Lee Shetterly, "The Glass Universe" by Dava Sobel, "The Calculus of Friendship" by Steven Strogatz, and "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot.