Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Installing Kubuntu on a Virtualbox

1. Feb 18, 2010 #1

I use KDE in university and would like to be able to use the same operating system when at home. Only problem (well the beginning of my problems more correctly) is that my computer at home runs XP. I have been advised that I should install kubuntu on a virtualbox so I can effectively use both operating system still. I have installed the virtualbox and set up a new machine. Next I saved the downloadable file from the kubuntu website to a CD and wrote it. Now I want to install it on the virtaul machine but cant see how to. All the other advice on the internet says to click on the CD-ROM icon in the virtualbox and set it as a bootable device but I dont have the CD-ROM drive there to click. Am sure it must be something simple but I cant see where to go next.

Any help most appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2010 #2
    I haven't used vbox in sometime, but when you create a new virtual machine, the wizard walks you through how much hd space to allocate, how much ram to use or enable any other peripherals.

Once you have done that, put the cd in, and click on start. If cdrom is not detected go to the settings again and enable it for the virtual machine you created.
  4. Feb 18, 2010 #3
    Thats my problem, I cant see where to enable the CD-ROM drive. There is nothing asking me to enable any peripherals when I create a new machine and once I have, there doesn't seem to be anywhere to either. Some things on the internet have said I should click on the blue CD-ROM icon on the right but thats not there either. Mystified.....
  5. Feb 20, 2010 #4
    For my laptop, I just made it dual-boot. To do that you actually resize the Windows partition and use the remaining space to install Linux. However, moving or resizing a Windows partition can cause some trouble to its bootloader. Of course that can be fixed, but that involves some googling (I don't remember exactly what to do, did it a year ago).

The dual-boot means that when you start your computer, you'll get the chance to choose which OS to boot.

As a side note, KDE is not an operating system. It is a GUI for Linux. Ubuntu is a Linux distribution for which the two most popular GUIs are KDE (hence the name Kubuntu) and Gnome (I use Gnome).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook