Installing pdfripimage on RedHat9 with GTK+1: Solutions and Alternatives

• Thread starter gnome
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses the installation of a package called pdfripimage on a RedHat9 system. The user encounters errors related to GTK functions and wonders if they have GTK+ or GTK+2 installed. They also mention wanting to extract images from a .pdf file for use in an OpenOffice presentation. Another user suggests using header-packages or tools like yum or apt4rpm for installation and mentions alternative methods such as pdf2html or taking a screenshot. The conversation ends with one user reporting they have found a solution by using Adobe's Acroread and KPaint to save the images in various formats.
gnome
I'm trying to install a package called pdfripimage in my RedHat9 system. When I try to compile it I get a series of errors saying:
undefined reference to `GTK_COLOR_BUTTON'
and similar messages relating to gtk functions.

The README says "make sure you have the GNOME and GTK+2 libraries and headers..."
I do have all the development tools installed, but I have Gimp 1.2.3. I think this means I have GTK+ and not GTK+2. Is that correct?
I know at some point I have to migrate to a newer system, but right now I'd like to avoid any major changes unless absolutely necessary. I already have too much to do in the next few days. What's the best way to attack this?

Or... do you know of another way to extract images (photos, diagrams, and graphs) from a .pdf file to paste them into an OpenOffice presentation?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hmmm...

I seem to have solved the immediate problem. xpdf has no copy-to-clipboard capability, but I found I can open the .pdf with the linux version of Adobe's Acroread, copy the images I need into KPaint, and in KPaint I can save them as an image file in .png, .jpeg, .bmp & various other formats.

I see you have solved the problem.. but i can't resist to post something to this topic ;-)

gnome said:
The README says "make sure you have the GNOME and GTK+2 libraries and headers..."
I do have all the development tools installed, but I have Gimp 1.2.3. I think this means I have GTK+ and not GTK+2. Is that correct?

Yes.. Does RH has header-packages?
If yes, you should try them ;-)

Can't you install it via yum or apt4rpm?
I know that apt4rpm works great...

gnome said:
Or... do you know of another way to extract images (photos, diagrams, and graphs) from a .pdf file to paste them into an OpenOffice presentation?
Maybe pdf2html or something like that with an special option...

or a Screenshot ;-)

Greets
soeren

Related to Installing pdfripimage on RedHat9 with GTK+1: Solutions and Alternatives

What is pdfripimage and why is it important to install it on RedHat9 with GTK+1?

Pdfripimage is a software tool used for extracting images from PDF files. It is important to install it on RedHat9 with GTK+1 because it allows users to easily access and manipulate images within PDF files, which can be useful for various purposes such as research, presentations, and graphic design.

What is the process for installing pdfripimage on RedHat9 with GTK+1?

The process for installing pdfripimage on RedHat9 with GTK+1 involves downloading the necessary files, compiling the source code, and configuring the installation. Detailed instructions can be found in the software's documentation or online resources.

Are there any alternative software options to pdfripimage for extracting images from PDF files on RedHat9 with GTK+1?

Yes, there are alternative software options available such as Poppler, PDFtk, and ImageMagick. These tools offer similar functionality to pdfripimage and can also be installed on RedHat9 with GTK+1.

Can pdfripimage be used on other operating systems besides RedHat9 with GTK+1?

Yes, pdfripimage is a cross-platform software tool and can be used on other operating systems such as Windows and MacOS. However, the installation process may differ slightly depending on the operating system.

Is there any technical support available for installing pdfripimage on RedHat9 with GTK+1?

While there may not be official technical support for installing pdfripimage on RedHat9 with GTK+1, there are various online forums and communities where users can seek help and guidance from experienced users. Additionally, the software's documentation and online tutorials can also be helpful resources.