1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Instantaneous current through an area

1. Oct 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Help with this question would be greatly appreciated as I have attempted it many times without success and I don't know where I'm going wrong.

The quantity of charge q (in coulombs) that has passed through a surface of area 1.90 cm2 varies with time according to the equation q = 8t^3 + 7t + 6, where t is in seconds.

What is the instantaneous current through the surface at t = 0.900 s?

2. Relevant equations

I = Q/t
    dQ/dt

3. The attempt at a solution

I would think that you find dQ/dt which would give 24t^2 + 7, substitute 0.9 into t which equals the charge and then divide that by the time to find instantaneous current. Current was = 20.15A, which was incorrect

I also tried substituting 0.9 into 8t^3 + 7t + 6 and then dividing by time. Here the current was = 29.37A. Incorrect as well.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

When you find dQ/dt and substitute in t=0.9s, that is the answer. You do not need to divide by time or anything else.

4. Oct 6, 2011 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Why divide by time? If you take the derivative w.r.t. time, that's already dQ/dt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook