Insulin and GLUT4 glucose transporters

In summary, the presence of insulin increases the activity of GLUT4 glucose transporters, but not the actual number of transporters. In a freeze fracture, it was observed that GLUT4s migrate from the internal membrane to the plasma membrane. It is believed that insulin causes this migration through a quantal mechanism, potentially involving endosomes. A recent article on this topic provides further insight into this process.
nautica
The presence of insulin increases the activity of the GLUT4 glucose transporters and not the actual number of the transporters.

In a freeze fracture, it appeared that the GLUT4s moved from the internal membrane into the plasma membrane.

I am asked to deduce the mechanism by which glucose transport by GLUT4 is increased in insulin treated cells.

Is the mechanism, just that the insulin causes this migration or is it more complex than this?

Thanks
Nautica

Biology news on Phys.org
Monique and Moonbear, I know that at least 1 of you know the answer to this question. :smile:

The one thing I'm pretty certain of is that your instructor (I'm assuming this is for a class the way you asked it) is providing very current examples. There's an article on this topic that came out this month (though doesn't directly answer your question, I thought you might find it interesting since it relates to your coursework).

Coster AC, Govers R, James DE.
Insulin Stimulates the Entry of GLUT4 into the Endosomal Recycling Pathway by a Quantal Mechanism.
Traffic. 2004 Oct;5(10):763-71.

There may be a complex answer, but right now, it seems only a simple one can be given (unless part of the "deduction" exercise is to speculate further on possible pathways that are not yet known). Anyway, the title of the article I referenced gives you a hint. Think about endosomes. I think that's what the question is trying to get at.

Thanks, I will check it out.

1. What is the role of insulin in glucose transport?

Insulin is a hormone produced by the pancreas that plays a crucial role in the regulation of glucose levels in the body. It acts as a signaling molecule that allows glucose to enter cells by binding to specific receptors on the cell surface. This triggers a cascade of events that ultimately results in the activation of GLUT4 glucose transporters, which transport glucose into the cell for energy production.

2. How does insulin affect the activity of GLUT4 glucose transporters?

Insulin stimulates the translocation of GLUT4 glucose transporters from intracellular storage vesicles to the cell membrane, increasing their activity. This allows for an increased uptake of glucose into the cell, which helps to lower blood glucose levels.

3. What is the relationship between insulin resistance and GLUT4 glucose transporters?

Insulin resistance is a condition in which the body's cells become less responsive to the effects of insulin. This can lead to a decrease in the activity of GLUT4 glucose transporters, resulting in reduced glucose uptake and increased blood glucose levels. Over time, this can contribute to the development of type 2 diabetes.

4. Are there other factors that can affect the activity of GLUT4 glucose transporters?

Yes, other factors such as exercise and certain medications can also influence the activity of GLUT4 glucose transporters. Exercise can increase the translocation of GLUT4 transporters to the cell membrane, while certain medications, such as insulin-sensitizing drugs, can enhance the activity of these transporters.

5. How does the malfunction of GLUT4 glucose transporters contribute to diabetes?

In individuals with type 2 diabetes, there is a decrease in the activity of GLUT4 glucose transporters. This means that less glucose is being taken up by cells, leading to elevated blood glucose levels. Over time, this can cause damage to various organs and tissues, ultimately resulting in the development of diabetes-related complications.