Prove Integer Expression: a(a^2 + a)/3 is an Integer

We could use this to show that (a^3-a)/3 is an integer for all integers a>=1.In summary, the expression (a^3-a)/3 is an integer for all integers a>=1, as proven by the factoring of a^3-a and the use of Fermat's little theorem.
Ed Aboud

Homework Statement

Prove that the expression [tex] \frac{a(a^2 + a)}{3} [/tex] is an integer for all integers [tex] \geq 1 [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] a(a^2 + a ) = 3q + r [/tex]

r can be:

[tex] r = 0,1,2 [/tex]

for r = 0

[tex] \frac{a(a^2 + a)}{3} = q [/tex]

q is an integer by the division algorithm.

When I try this attempt with 3q+1 and 3q+2 I can't get it to work.

Thanks in advance.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not true for all positive integers. For example, setting a = 1 gives 2/3.

Sorry there is a correction [tex] \frac{a^3 -a}{3} [/tex]

Ed Aboud said:
Sorry there is a correction [tex] \frac{a^3 -a}{3} [/tex]

You might want to factor [itex]a^3 -a[/itex], and show that for all integers [itex]a\geq1[/itex], one of the factors will be divisible by 3.

Ed Aboud said:

[tex] a^3 - a = 3q + r [/tex]

r can be:

[tex] r = 0,1,2 [/tex]

for r = 0

[tex] \frac{a^3 - a}{3} = q [/tex]

q is an integer by the division algorithm.
Where did q and r come from? :confused: Whenever you introduce new variables, you need to say what they are, and why they should have the properties you say they have. You need to say something like "By the division algorithm, we can select integers q and r such that a^3 - a = 3q + r, where 0 <= r < 3". If you don't explain the introduction of new variables, then your work is just nonsense.

Yes, I was able to figure out what you meant, but that's irrelevant; it would be completely analogous to saying "me food want" in your English classes.

When I try this attempt with 3q+1 and 3q+2 I can't get it to work.
Of course not. If r=1 or r=2, then (a^3-a)/3 is not an integer. That's what 'remainder' means, right? And r is supposed to be a remainder?

Fermat's little theorem: a^2 Mod 3 = 1 if a is not a multiple of 3. So we always have that a^3 = a Mod 3.

1. What does "prove integer expression" mean?

Proving an integer expression means showing that the expression results in a whole number, or integer, when evaluated.

2. How do you prove that a mathematical expression is an integer?

To prove that a mathematical expression is an integer, you need to show that the expression can be written in the form of a fraction, where the numerator is a multiple of the denominator.

3. Why is it important to prove that a mathematical expression is an integer?

Proving that a mathematical expression is an integer is important because it confirms that the expression is valid and can be used in further calculations.

4. What is the significance of the expression a(a^2 + a)/3 being an integer?

The significance of this expression being an integer is that it can be used to solve real-world problems involving quantities that can only have whole number values, such as counting objects or measuring distances.

5. What are some strategies for proving that a mathematical expression is an integer?

Some strategies for proving that a mathematical expression is an integer include using algebraic manipulation, factoring, and substituting different values for the variables to see if the result is always a whole number.