1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral: Area of a surface in 3D

1. Dec 18, 2005 #1
    The problem goes like that: we have a curve, z = xy, and we want to find the portion of the surface area above the circle (x^2 + y^2 <= 1 in the (x,y)-plane).

It's probably involving a double integral in polar coordinate or a triple in cylindrical, but I don't know how to set the problem. I did some volume under surface in 3D, but I don't know how to calculate the area of this surface.

Thank you very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2005 #2
    Does this look familliar?

(summarised from Thomas' Calculus, Section 13.6)

In general, if you have a surface [itex]S[/itex] which is paramaterized in terms of two variables [itex]u,v[/itex] such that you can represent the surface with a function [itex]\vec{r}(u,v) = f(u,v) \hat{i} + g(u,v) \hat{j} + h(u,v) \hat{k}[/itex], then you can calculate its surface area as:

[tex]\int_a^b \int_c^d \left| \vec{r_u} \times \vec{r_v} \right| du \, dv[/tex]

where [itex]\vec{r_u}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{r_v}[/itex] are the partial derivatives of [itex]\vec{r}(u,v)[/itex] with respect to [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex], the vertical bars represent the magnitude of the vector product, and [itex]a,b,c,d[/itex] are the limiting values for [itex]u,v[/itex].

And you're right, it's easier if you convert to polar coordinates.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
  4. Dec 19, 2005 #3

benorin

Homework Helper

Surface Area

The surface area of the portion of the surface [itex]z=f(x,y)[/itex] which lies above D is given by this integral:

[tex]SA = \int\int_{D} \sqrt{1+ \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \right) ^{2} + \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \right) ^{2}} dA[/tex]

Since D denotes the region in the xy-plane given by:

[tex]D=\left\{ (x,y)\in\mathbb{R} ^2 : x^2+y^2\leq 1\right\}[/tex]

i.e., the unit disk. And we have [itex]z=xy[/itex], it follows that

[tex]SA = \int\int_{D} \sqrt{1+ \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \right) ^{2} + \left( \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \right) ^{2}} dA = \int\int_{x^2+y^2\leq 1} \sqrt{1+ y ^{2} + x^{2}} dxdy [/tex]

Change to polar coordinates to get...

[tex]SA = \int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi} \int_{r=0}^{1} \sqrt{1+ r^{2}} r drd\theta = \int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi}d\theta \int_{u=1}^{2} \sqrt{u} \frac{du}{2} = \frac{2\pi}{3} \left( 2\sqrt{2} - 1 \right) [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?