1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral by interpreting it in terms of area

1. Feb 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

∫(a= -3 , b= 0) (1 + √9 - x^2) dx

2. Relevant equations
    ∫(a,b) f(x) dx = lim as n → [itex]\infty[/itex] [itex]\sum[/itex] f(xi) delta x

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried plugging in my a and b value into the function just as I would with any other function to find the area and i get a number but the answer is a ∏ so I am not sure with the pi comes from

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2014 #2
    What did you plug your numbers into? That's not an elementary integral. I think the intention was for you to think about what the graph of 1 + sqrt(9 - x^2) looks like, and then use geometry to calculate it.

4. Feb 13, 2014 #3
    I've been doing some research and i figure that 9-x^2 is 1/4 of a circle

5. Feb 13, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There is certainly a quarter circle involved, but the region is a bit more than that.

6. Feb 13, 2014 #5
    how do i know its a quarter circle though?

7. Feb 13, 2014 #6
    A couple different ways. One is to rearrange the equation a bit.

Replace f(x) with y, and ignore the + 1 in front, and you have this:
    $$y = \sqrt{9 - x^{2}}$$
    With a little rearranging (square both sides, move x^{2} over), you get this:
    $$x^{2} + y^{2} = 9$$
    You can recognize that as the equation of a circle, with radius 3. So if plotted at the origin, it would stretch from -3 to 3 on both axes. Since the limits on integration are from x = -3 to x = 0, that's half of the circle. Then, since you take the positive square root, it's the half of the circle above the x-axis: thus, a quarter circle in the second quadrant. Look at the addition of 1 to the front of the original equation (f(x)), and you get that same quarter circle moved up one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted