Integral calculation (Most Difficult Integral)

In summary: High school students usually learn about power series in a more abstract way, as part of calculus. A power series solution is a way of solving an indefinite integral using a fixed-point theorem.
FL0R1
Can anybody give me a solution for the integral of [(lnx)/(cosx)]dx??
I would be very gratefully even they do go in a way

Physics news on Phys.org
I very much doubt that the expression ln(x) / cos(x) is the antiderivative of any function that can be expressed in closed form in terms of elementary functions.

Of course, any well-defined differentiable function does have an indefinite integral, but in some sense *most* cases this antiderivative cannot be expressed in any simple closed form (meaning with a finite number of elementary functions as terms).

On the other hand, if the pieces of the original function can be expressed as power series that converge in the same region — as is the case for ln(x) and cos(x) — then there is a power series expression for the antiderivative, at least where there is no zero in the denominator. In the present case, ln(x) is not defined at x = 0, but we can find a power series expansion for the antiderivative of ln(x) / cos(x) about the point x = 1.

It is likely to be have complicated coefficients, but a computer algebra system like Mathematica can in principle calculate any number of terms of the series.

Likes FL0R1
I putted this in Mathematica program and it didnt gave results, when i put it the program stopped, anyway.This is a indefinite integral and sure that can be found by power series but do anybody know any algebra "trick" that can go to a way.
Thanks

First, asking ## \int \frac{\ln x}{\cos x} {}dx = ? ## is not a properly formulated mathematical problem. You need to specify for which values of x the function under the integral sign makes sense in the reals, or in the complex plane. Only then you can ask yourself, for what values of x, does it make sense to consider a series expansion...

FL0R1 said:
I putted this in Mathematica program and it didnt gave results, when i put it the program stopped, anyway.This is a indefinite integral and sure that can be found by power series but do anybody know any algebra "trick" that can go to a way.
Thanks
Do you understand that "almost all" integrals of elementary functions cannot be written in terms of elementary functions?

dextercioby said:
First, asking ## \int \frac{\ln x}{\cos x} {}dx = ? ## is not a properly formulated mathematical problem. You need to specify for which values of x the function under the integral sign makes sense in the reals, or in the complex plane. Only then you can ask yourself, for what values of x, does it make sense to consider a series expansion...
its an undefinite integral..

HallsofIvy said:
Do you understand that "almost all" integrals of elementary functions cannot be written in terms of elementary functions?
Im in high school and we didnt still learned power series, i just wanted a solution for my grade.Sure that i know power series but if i solve it with PS how can classmates understand.

There is no solution for high school.

1. What is integral calculation and why is it considered difficult?

Integral calculation is a mathematical process used to determine the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over an interval. It is considered difficult because it requires a combination of algebraic manipulation, understanding of advanced concepts such as limits and derivatives, and knowledge of various integration techniques.

2. What are some common strategies for solving difficult integrals?

Some common strategies for solving difficult integrals include using substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, trigonometric identities, and symmetry. It is also important to recognize patterns and use properties of integrals, such as linearity and the fundamental theorem of calculus.

3. How can I improve my skills in solving difficult integrals?

Improving skills in solving difficult integrals requires practice and understanding of fundamental concepts. It is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and calculus, as well as familiarity with various integration techniques. Reviewing solved examples and attempting multiple practice problems can also help improve skills.

4. Are there any tips for recognizing which integration technique to use?

There is no one-size-fits-all approach for recognizing which integration technique to use. It often depends on the complexity of the integral and the form of the integrand. However, a good strategy is to try substitution first and then explore other techniques if substitution does not work. It is also helpful to look for patterns and use properties of integrals to simplify the problem.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving difficult integrals?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving difficult integrals include incorrect application of integration rules, missing negative signs, and incorrect limits of integration. It is also important to check the final answer by differentiating it to ensure it is correct. It is a good practice to double-check all steps and calculations to avoid mistakes.