1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Integral calculus question, using limits.

1. May 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let A be the area of a polygon with n equal sides inscribed in a circle with radius r. By dividing the polygon into n congruent triangles with central angle 2pi/n, show that A = [tex](\frac{1}{2})nr^{2}sin(2(\pi)/n)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Area of a circle = pi x r^2
    Area of triangle = (base x height)/2
    sin x = opposite/hypotenuse

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt is in the attached word document. I spent over an hour trying to use the latex/equation stuff, and normally I know how to use it, but it kept putting in stuff that I wasn't actually typing. Every line would just show up as something random.

I apologize in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Don't use the Pythagorean theorem to get h in terms of r and n. Instead, note that you have a right triangle with angle [itex]\theta/2[/itex], "near side" h and "hypotenuse" r. [itex]cos(\theta/2)= h/r[/itex] so [itex]h= r cos(\theta/2)[/itex]. Similarly, the base of the triangle is [itex]r sin(\theta/2)[/itex] so the area of each right triangle is [itex](1/2)r^2 sin(\theta/2)cos(\theta/2)[/itex].

Since sin(2x)= 2sin(x)cos(x) for any x, [itex]sin(\theta/2)cos(\theta/2)= (1/2)sin(\theta)[/itex]. And since each of the triangles having a side of the polygon as base is two of those right triangles, the area of each such triangle is [itex](1/2)r^2 sin(\theta)[/tex].

Now use the fact that there are n such triangles and that [itex]\theta= 2\pi/n[/itex]

4. May 16, 2010 #3
    makes perfect sense! Then all I need to do is multiply [itex](1/2)r^2 sin(\theta)[/itex] by [itex]n[/itex] and substitute [itex]\theta= 2\pi/n[/itex].

But, why wasn't I able to use Pythagorean theorem to find h?

5. May 17, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Well, you could, but you clearly want everything in terms of [itex]\theta[/itex]. Writing h in terms of other things you don't know doesn't help!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook