Integral computation in scattering theory

In summary, Pierre is working on computing an integral from Weinberg's Lecture notes on QM book. The integral is in the form of ##\int d^3x d^3x' V(\vec{x}) V(\vec{x'}) / |\vec{x}-\vec{x'}|^2##, with ##V(r) = -e^{-r/R}/r##. Pierre has been trying to solve it using residues but has been unsuccessful. Another person suggests using the generating function of Legendre polynomials and simplifying the sums using orthonormality of spherical harmonics. Pierre tries this approach and gets a result close to ##\pi^2R^2##, but with a slightly different coefficient. They are still
jouvelot
Hello everyone,

Still working on my reading of Weinberg's Lecture notes on QM book. At one point, the following integral $$\int d^3 xd^3 x' V(\vec{x~}) V(\vec{x'}) / |\vec{x~} - \vec{x'}|^2$$ has to be computed in the case where ##V(r) = -e^{-r/R}/r##. This reminds me of retarded potentials, but I don't have my other books with me, and cannot find a way to compute this integral. I've been trying with some residues, but this is unwieldy. The result should be ##8\pi^2 R^2##.
Thanks for any hints that would help me compute it.
Bye,
Pierre

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can employ the generating function of the Legendre polynomials. Using this, you can write
$$
\frac{1}{\sqrt{|\mathbf{x}-\mathbf{x}'|}} = \sum_{l=0}^\infty \sum_{m=-l}^{m=l} \frac{4\pi}{2l+1} \frac{(x_<)^l}{(x_>)^{l+1}} Y_{lm}^*(\theta,\phi) Y_{lm}(\theta',\phi')
$$
using the orthonormality of the spherical harmonics, you can simplify the sums.
I haven't tried myself though, nor know whether the resulting integral will be solvable but at least I know where this is going to.

Last edited:
Hi blue_leaf,

Thanks a lot for the hint. I'll look into this approach :)

Bye,

Pierre

Hi blue_leaf,

Indeed, this seems to (almost) work, using a squared Legendre expansion of ##1/|\vec{x}-\vec{x'}|## in the orthogonal ##P_l(cos (\gamma))## polynomials (no need to go to harmonics). I used the online version of Wolfram Alpha (great tool, and free) to compute the sum and integrate the resulting function; I do get something in ##\pi^2R^2##, although the coefficient is off by a factor of 2 -- although I can almost make up a story why just half of the result is valid, due to convergence constraints. But since they are other minor details that elude me (limit behavior of Exponential integral Ei and tanh##{}^{-1}##, among others), I'll feel happy for now :)

Thanks for your help, which had me dig more into these issues.

Pierre

Last edited:

1. What is integral computation in scattering theory?

Integral computation in scattering theory is a mathematical technique used to study the behavior of particles or waves as they interact with each other. It involves calculating integrals, which are mathematical expressions that represent the sum of an infinite number of smaller values. In scattering theory, integrals are used to model the interactions between particles or waves, and to predict the outcomes of these interactions.

2. How is integral computation used in scattering theory?

Integral computation is used in scattering theory to solve equations that describe the interactions between particles or waves. By calculating integrals, scientists can determine the probability of particles or waves scattering in a certain direction, or the amount of energy transferred during an interaction. Integral computation also allows for the study of complex systems, such as multiple particles interacting with each other.

3. What are some applications of integral computation in scattering theory?

Integral computation in scattering theory has many applications in physics and engineering. For example, it is used in the study of nuclear reactions, where particles collide and scatter off each other. It is also used in astronomy to study the scattering of light by interstellar dust and gas. Integral computation is also used in various industries, such as in the design of aircraft and other structures that need to withstand high-velocity impacts.

4. What are some challenges associated with integral computation in scattering theory?

One of the main challenges of integral computation in scattering theory is the complexity of the equations involved. The equations can be difficult to solve analytically, so numerical methods are often used. This requires high-performance computing and advanced algorithms. Another challenge is the accuracy of the results, as small errors in the calculations can lead to significant differences in the predicted outcomes.

5. How is integral computation in scattering theory related to other areas of science?

Integral computation in scattering theory is closely related to other areas of physics and mathematics, such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and calculus. It also has applications in other fields, such as chemistry, biology, and materials science. Many of the techniques used in scattering theory, such as the use of Green's functions and perturbation theory, are also applied in other areas of science to study complex systems and interactions.