Integral Domains and Principal Ideal Domains (PIDs)

In summary: Then you write:"If not, choose $b_1\in J - \langle a_1\rangle$, and let $a_2 = \text{gcd}(a_1,b_1)\in J$. If $J = \langle a_2\rangle$, then $J$ is a principal ideal, and we are done. If not, ... . "When you say " choose b_1\in J - \langle a_1\rangle and let a_2 = \text{gcd}(a_1,b_1)\in J " ... ...
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
Dummit and Foote, Section 8.2 (Principal Ideal Domains (PIDs) ) - Exercise 4, page 282.

Let R be an integral domain.

Prove that if the following two conditions hold then R is a Principal Ideal Domain:

(i) any two non-zero elements a and b in R have a greatest common divisor which can be written in the form ra + sb for some [TEX] r, s \in R [/TEX] and

(ii) if [TEX] a_1, a_2, a_3, ... [/TEX] are non-zero elements of R such that [TEX] a_{i+1} | a_i [/TEX] for all i, then there is a positive integer N such that [TEX] a_n [/TEX] is a unit times [TEX] a_N [/TEX] for all [TEX] n \ge N [/TEX]

I am somewhat overwhelmed by this exercise. I would appreciate it if someone could help me get started and indicate a strategy for formulating a proof.

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
Dummit and Foote, Section 8.2 (Principal Ideal Domains (PIDs) ) - Exercise 4, page 282.

Let R be an integral domain.

Prove that if the following two conditions hold then R is a Principal Ideal Domain:

(i) any two non-zero elements a and b in R have a greatest common divisor which can be written in the form ra + sb for some [TEX] r, s \in R [/TEX] and

(ii) if [TEX] a_1, a_2, a_3, ... [/TEX] are non-zero elements of R such that [TEX] a_{i+1} | a_i [/TEX] for all i, then there is a positive integer N such that [TEX] a_n [/TEX] is a unit times [TEX] a_N [/TEX] for all [TEX] n \ge N [/TEX]

I am somewhat overwhelmed by this exercise. I would appreciate it if someone could help me get started and indicate a strategy for formulating a proof.
Start like this. Let $J$ be an ideal in $R$. We want to show that $J$ is a principal ideal. Choose $a_1\in J$. If $J = \langle a_1\rangle$ (the principal ideal generated by $a_1$), then $J$ is a principal ideal, and we are done. If not, choose $b_1\in J - \langle a_1\rangle$, and let $a_2 = \text{gcd}(a_1,b_1)\in J$. If $J = \langle a_2\rangle$, then $J$ is a principal ideal, and we are done. If not, ... .

Do you see how to continue? The idea should be to use (ii) to show that you can build up a sequence so that $J = \langle a_N\rangle$.

Opalg said:
Start like this. Let $J$ be an ideal in $R$. We want to show that $J$ is a principal ideal. Choose $a_1\in J$. If $J = \langle a_1\rangle$ (the principal ideal generated by $a_1$), then $J$ is a principal ideal, and we are done. If not, choose $b_1\in J - \langle a_1\rangle$, and let $a_2 = \text{gcd}(a_1,b_1)\in J$. If $J = \langle a_2\rangle$, then $J$ is a principal ideal, and we are done. If not, ... .

Do you see how to continue? The idea should be to use (ii) to show that you can build up a sequence so that $J = \langle a_N\rangle$.

=================================================================

Thanks Opalg ... the overall strategy for proving this is now clear but I do need some help on important aspects of the proof.

You write:

"Start like this. Let $J$ be an ideal in $R$. We want to show that $J$ is a principal ideal. Choose $a_1\in J$. If $J = \langle a_1\rangle$ (the principal ideal generated by $a_1$), then $J$ is a principal ideal, and we are done. ... ... "

I understand this since it is simple logic that something is the case or it is not - true and depends on nothing in the exercise conditions/givens.

Then you write:

"If not, choose $b_1\in J - \langle a_1\rangle$, and let $a_2 = \text{gcd}(a_1,b_1)\in J$. If $J = \langle a_2\rangle$, then $J$ is a principal ideal, and we are done. If not, ... . "When you say " choose \(\displaystyle b_1\in J - \langle a_1\rangle \) and let \(\displaystyle a_2 = \text{gcd}(a_1,b_1)\in J \) " ... ...

and then go on to say "if \(\displaystyle J = \langle a_2\rangle \) ... ... " ... ... I am assuming that there is some logical link between setting \(\displaystyle a_2 = \text{gcd}(a_1,b_1) \) and then making the statement " if \(\displaystyle J = \langle a_2\rangle \) ... ...

Can you clarify? Can you make the link between the gcd and the principal ideal clear?

Peter

Peter said:
=================================================================

Thanks Opalg ... the overall strategy for proving this is now clear but I do need some help on important aspects of the proof.

You write:

"Start like this. Let $J$ be an ideal in $R$. We want to show that $J$ is a principal ideal. Choose $a_1\in J$. If $J = \langle a_1\rangle$ (the principal ideal generated by $a_1$), then $J$ is a principal ideal, and we are done. ... ... "

I understand this since it is simple logic that something is the case or it is not - true and depends on nothing in the exercise conditions/givens.

Then you write:

"If not, choose $b_1\in J - \langle a_1\rangle$, and let $a_2 = \text{gcd}(a_1,b_1)\in J$. If $J = \langle a_2\rangle$, then $J$ is a principal ideal, and we are done. If not, ... . "When you say " choose \(\displaystyle b_1\in J - \langle a_1\rangle \) and let \(\displaystyle a_2 = \text{gcd}(a_1,b_1)\in J \) " ... ...

and then go on to say "if \(\displaystyle J = \langle a_2\rangle \) ... ... " ... ... I am assuming that there is some logical link between setting \(\displaystyle a_2 = \text{gcd}(a_1,b_1) \) and then making the statement " if \(\displaystyle J = \langle a_2\rangle \) ... ...

Can you clarify? Can you make the link between the gcd and the principal ideal clear?

Peter
The underlying idea is that you want to find an element that generates the whole of $J$. If you start with a random element $a_1\in J$, then $\langle a_1\rangle$ will be contained in $J$ but it might not be the whole of $J$. So you want to find an element $a_2\in J$ that generates a larger part of $J$. If you take $a_2 = \text{gcd}(a_1,b_1)$ then firstly $a_2\in J$ (by condition (i), because $a_2$ is a linear combination of $a_1$ and $b_1$), and hence $\langle a_2\rangle\subseteq J$; secondly, $\langle a_2\rangle$ contains $\langle a_1\rangle$ (because $a_1$ is a multiple of $a_2$); and thirdly, $\langle a_2\rangle$ is strictly larger than $\langle a_1\rangle$ (because $b_1$ is a multiple of $a_2$ and therefore $b_1\in\langle a_2\rangle$, whereas $b_1$ was not in $\langle a_1\rangle$).

Continuing in that way, you build up an increasing nest of sub-ideals of $J$, and then you need to use condition (ii) to show that this process cannot continue indefinitely without eventually encompassing the whole of $J$.

Opalg said:
The underlying idea is that you want to find an element that generates the whole of $J$. If you start with a random element $a_1\in J$, then $\langle a_1\rangle$ will be contained in $J$ but it might not be the whole of $J$. So you want to find an element $a_2\in J$ that generates a larger part of $J$. If you take $a_2 = \text{gcd}(a_1,b_1)$ then firstly $a_2\in J$ (by condition (i), because $a_2$ is a linear combination of $a_1$ and $b_1$), and hence $\langle a_2\rangle\subseteq J$; secondly, $\langle a_2\rangle$ contains $\langle a_1\rangle$ (because $a_1$ is a multiple of $a_2$); and thirdly, $\langle a_2\rangle$ is strictly larger than $\langle a_1\rangle$ (because $b_1$ is a multiple of $a_2$ and therefore $b_1\in\langle a_2\rangle$, whereas $b_1$ was not in $\langle a_1\rangle$).

Continuing in that way, you build up an increasing nest of sub-ideals of $J$, and then you need to use condition (ii) to show that this process cannot continue indefinitely without eventually encompassing the whole of $J$.

Thanks Opalg

Your post was extremely helpfulPeter

What is an integral domain?

An integral domain is a type of ring in abstract algebra that has no zero divisors. This means that for any two nonzero elements a and b, their product ab is also nonzero. In other words, the only way for ab to equal 0 is if either a or b is equal to 0.

What is a principal ideal domain (PID)?

A principal ideal domain is a special type of integral domain where every ideal can be generated by a single element, known as a principal ideal. This means that every ideal in a PID can be written as the set of all multiples of a single element in the ring.

How are integral domains and PIDs related?

Every PID is an integral domain, but not every integral domain is a PID. This means that all PIDs have no zero divisors, but some integral domains may have zero divisors and therefore are not PIDs.

What are some examples of integral domains?

The most common example of an integral domain is the ring of integers (Z), where the operations of addition and multiplication follow the usual rules. Other examples include polynomial rings and rings of algebraic integers.

Why are integral domains and PIDs important?

Integral domains and PIDs play a critical role in abstract algebra and number theory. They have many applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, and algebraic geometry. Additionally, they provide a framework for studying more complex algebraic structures.