Integral in Stefan-Boltzmann law

In summary, the conversation is about finding a book that explains how to analytically solve integrals that appear in Stefan-Boltzmann's law. The integral in question cannot be solved analytically, but there are other methods such as using Taylor expansion and contour integration. One person mentions using a generating function to solve the integral, which involves expanding logarithms and evaluating at p=0. They are looking for a book that explains the origins of these methods.
dingo_d
Hi!

I'm wondering if anybody can recommend me a book where it's explained how to solve (analytically) integral that appears in Stefan-Boltzmann's law:

[tex]\int_0^\infty \frac{x^n}{(e^x-1)^m}dx[/tex]

Thanx!

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know it does not have an analytical solution.

Well you consider the integral:
[tex]\int_0^\infty \frac{\sin(kx)}{e^x-1}dx[/tex], we can use Taylor expansion on it and solve it via contour integration.

At my class we solved that by using some kind of generating function [tex]F(p)=\int_0^\infty x^n \ln(1-e^{p-x})dx[/tex], then derived it by p and evaluated at p=0. First we expanded logarithm in Taylor series, and we got Riemann zeta function and Gamma function.

But I was wondering if there are any books that show where this all comes from...

1. What is the Stefan-Boltzmann law?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law is a physical law that describes the relationship between the total energy radiated by a black body and its temperature. It states that the total energy radiated per unit surface area of a black body per unit time is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature.

2. How does the Stefan-Boltzmann law relate to integral calculus?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law involves an integral expression, which is used to calculate the total energy radiated by a black body. This integral is known as the Stefan-Boltzmann integral and is derived from the Planck's law of black body radiation using integral calculus.

3. What is the significance of the integral in the Stefan-Boltzmann law?

The integral in the Stefan-Boltzmann law is used to calculate the total energy radiated by a black body, which is an important concept in thermodynamics and astrophysics. It allows us to understand how much energy is emitted by objects at different temperatures and to make predictions about their behavior.

4. How is the Stefan-Boltzmann law used in real-world applications?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law is used in various fields such as astrophysics, engineering, and climate science. It is used to calculate the radiation emitted by stars and planets, to design efficient heat transfer systems, and to understand the Earth's energy balance and climate change.

5. Are there any limitations to the Stefan-Boltzmann law?

While the Stefan-Boltzmann law is a fundamental physical law, it has limitations when applied to real-world objects. It assumes that the body is a perfect black body, which absorbs all incoming radiation and emits radiation according to its temperature. In reality, most objects are not perfect black bodies, and other factors such as surface properties and geometry can affect their radiation emission.