1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral involving population density

1. Aug 18, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey all I've got a problem to do with population density. It asks for you to show the number of people living between arbitrary points a and b from the centre of the town is equal to:

Where f(r) is the population density. Note that a is not the centre of the town, but a distance out from it, with a < b.

So I have stated that the number of people living in this area will be the population density multiplied by area. Easy enough. I have then partitioned up the large ring in between a and b into small rings.

Here's what I have so far:

[tex]Area_{i} = \pi(r^{2}_{i}-r^{2}_{i-1})[/tex]

[tex]\Delta r_{i} = r_{i}-r_{i-1}[/tex]

and it follows that

[tex]Population \approx \sum^{n}_{i=1}f(r^{i}_{*})\pi(r^{2}_{i}-r^{2}_{i-1})[/tex]

My question is, how do I convert this to an integral if there's no [tex]\Delta r[/tex] involved?

I do realize that as the rings get really small they can be approximated as circumferences but this still doesn't help me get the term I need.

Thanks for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Andrusko! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(I assume you mean the number of people living between arbitrary distances a and b from the centre of the town? :smile:)

No, using [tex]\text{Area}_{i} = \pi(r^{2}_{i}-r^{2}_{i-1})[/tex] is just a nuisance, and it doesn't incorporate d-anything.

You have correctly sliced up the area … in this case, into rings.

ok, call the thickness of each ring dr …

then its area (to first order of magnitude) is … ?

and so the total area is ∫ … dr ? :smile:
  4. Aug 18, 2008 #3
    Ah, so I should treat it like a rectangle and go:

[tex] Area_{i} = 2\pi r^{*}_{i} \Delta r_{i} [/tex]

Then the Riemann sum becomes:

[tex]Population \approx \sum^{n}_{i=1} f(r^{*}_{i})2\pi r^{*}_{i} \Delta r_{i}[/tex]

Which in the limit as [tex]\Delta r_{i} \rightarrow 0[/tex] becomes:

[tex]Population = \int^{b}_{a} f(r)2\pi rdr[/tex]
    [tex]Population = 2\pi\int^{b}_{a} rf(r)dr[/tex]

This seems to have solved it. Thankyou for the help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?