Integral is it Partial Fraction

In summary, the conversation is about evaluating an integral with a complex denominator and using a substitution to simplify the problem. The person is unsure about how to handle the inverse trig function in the denominator and asks for clarification on using a different variable for substitution.
whatlifeforme

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral.

Homework Equations

[itex]\displaystyle\int_0^∞ {\frac{dv}{(1+v^2)(1+arctanv)}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i am not sure how to do partial fractions with an inverse trig function in the denominator.

i tried v=arctanv so i could do a substitution, but that would be correct, and i don't know how using another variable would work such as z=arctanv.

Physics news on Phys.org
The letter you use for your substitution does not have to be any special letter, as long as it doesn't confuse you. If you feel like it, write arctan(v) as z. However we now need to write the entire integral in terms of z and we need dz if we want to integrate it in this form. If z = arctan(v), then what is dz ? Is dz present in the integral ?

whatlifeforme said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral.

Homework Equations

[itex]\displaystyle\int_0^∞ {\frac{dv}{(1+v^2)(1+arctanv)}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i am not sure how to do partial fractions with an inverse trig function in the denominator.

i tried v=arctanv so i could do a substitution, but that would be correct, and i don't know how using another variable would work such as z=arctanv.

v=arctan(v) is nonsense. z=arctan(v) should work. Try it.

1. What is the concept of integral and partial fractions?

The integral of a function is the inverse operation of differentiation, and it is used to find the area under a curve. Partial fractions, on the other hand, is a method of breaking down a complex fraction into smaller, simpler fractions.

2. How are integral and partial fractions related?

The concept of partial fractions is used in integration to break down a rational function into simpler fractions, making it easier to integrate. It is particularly useful when dealing with improper fractions.

3. What is the process of solving an integral using partial fractions?

The first step is to factor the denominator of the rational function into linear and quadratic factors. Then, using the method of partial fractions, the fraction is written as a sum of simpler fractions. Finally, each fraction is integrated separately to find the overall integral.

4. What are the benefits of using the method of partial fractions in integration?

Using partial fractions can make the process of integration easier and more efficient, especially when dealing with complex functions. It also allows for the use of simpler integration techniques, such as the power rule, which can save time and effort.

5. Are there any limitations to using partial fractions in integration?

Partial fractions can only be used for rational functions, which means that it cannot be applied to all types of integrals. Additionally, the process of finding the partial fraction decomposition can be time-consuming and may require some algebraic manipulation skills.