1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral - Length of cardioid arc question

1. Jan 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey all, I'm trying to calculate the length of the cardioid r(θ)=1+cosθ (polar coordinates) and I figured I'd try to do it in one integral from 0 to 2Pi.

2. Relevant equations
    So the integral is [tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \sqrt{r^2 + (\frac{dr}{d\theta})^2}d\theta[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    and it becomes [tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \sqrt{1+cos\theta} d\theta[/tex] which becomes I've found
    [tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \sqrt{1+cos\theta} d\theta = \int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{sin\theta}{\sqrt{1-cos\theta}} d\theta = 2\sqrt{1-cos\theta} |_{0}^{2\pi}[/tex]

but that gives me 0 , although I run it through mathematica and it gives me [tex]4sqrt{2}[/tex]. Why?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2012 #2
    [tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \sqrt{r^2 + (\frac{dr}{d\theta})^2}d\theta = \int_0^{2\pi} \sqrt{(1+cos\theta)^2 + sin^2\theta} d\theta = \int_0^{2\pi} \sqrt{2+2cos\theta}d\theta[/tex]

Edit: Although this oversight is not enough to fix the problem. The integral is clearly always positive thus it can't be zero. You can note that the integral between 0 and 2pi is symmetric around pi and thus integrate [itex]2\int_0^{\pi} \sqrt{2+2cos\theta}d\theta[/itex]. Something generally goes wrong when you try to do these integrals of trig functions between k and k+2pi, although I'm not sure exactly why that is; maybe somebody else more knowledgable can help explain why.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  4. Jan 6, 2012 #3

Thanks for answering,
    yep I left the sqrt2 factor out because the real problem is the [tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi} \sqrt{1+cos\theta} d\theta [/tex]. I know, and by taking limits as 0 and pi/2 I can find a non-zero answer, but does mathematica do the same thing or am I missing something?

5. Jan 6, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]
    \int_{0}^{2\pi} \sqrt{1+cos\theta} d\theta = \int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{|sin\theta|}{\sqrt{1-cos\theta}} d\theta[/tex]

You took a square root of [itex]sin^2\theta[/itex] and left out the absolute value. That's what's going wrong.

6. Jan 6, 2012 #5
    Ah I tend to ignore these restrictions because I've been heavily working with indefinite integrals. So I break the integral into two others depending on where sin(theta) is positive or not and add them?

7. Jan 6, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure.

8. Jan 6, 2012 #7
    Ok thanks, rock on!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook