Integral of a Hermitian squared?

The integral can be simplified using Rodrigues' formula for Hn(x) and then using the given boundaries to determine the final solution. In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of a specific integral using Rodrigues' formula for Hermite polynomials and the given boundaries of -∞ to +∞.
maroon
1. The problem statement, all variables and given known data

Compute: ∫x2(Hn(x))2e-x2dx

The boundaries of the integral are -∞ to +∞

Homework Equations

By Rodrigues' formula:

Hn(x) = (-1)nex2dn/dxn(e-x2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I proceed to plug in my expression for H into the integral, however, I'm insure as to what happens to the dependent derivative/integral when the derivative is squared. I believe the solution to this problem is straight "plug and chug." I got stuck pretty early and don't want to proceed until i know what to do with the derivative.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The Hermitian operator is supposed to be orthonormal. However, I am not familiar with it. Since you have the Hermitian squared, the integral should be 1

Dustinsfl said:
The Hermitian operator is supposed to be orthonormal. However, I am not familiar with it. Since you have the Hermitian squared, the integral should be 1

The post is about Hermite polynomials, not Hermitian operators.

1. What is the integral of a Hermitian squared?

The integral of a Hermitian squared is the area under the curve of the function when plotted on a graph. It is a mathematical operation that calculates the total value of a Hermitian squared over a given range.

2. How is the integral of a Hermitian squared calculated?

The integral of a Hermitian squared is calculated using integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts. It involves finding the anti-derivative of the function and then evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of the integral.

3. What is the significance of the integral of a Hermitian squared?

The integral of a Hermitian squared has several practical applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the energy of a quantum system or determining the probability of a particle's position or momentum within a given range.

4. Can the integral of a Hermitian squared be negative?

Yes, the integral of a Hermitian squared can be negative. This indicates that the function has negative values within the given range. However, in most cases, the integral of a Hermitian squared will be positive as it represents the total area under the curve.

5. Are there any properties of the integral of a Hermitian squared?

Yes, the integral of a Hermitian squared has several properties, including linearity, where the integral of a sum of functions is equal to the sum of their individual integrals, and the fundamental theorem of calculus, which relates the integral to the derivative of a function.