Integral of a vector with respect to another vector.

• Thread starter Ludwig
  • Start date
My physics text gives the following as a general definition of work done by a varying force on a system:
## \sum W = \int (\sum \vec{F}) \cdot d \vec{r} ##
Unfortunately, I haven't the faintest idea how to evaluate this. I know how to evaluate an integral with respect to some parameter, but not with respect to another vector. Help?

(Note: I would be particularly interested to know how to evaluate this if given ##\vec{F}(t)## and ##\vec{r}(t)## ).

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The integral is evaluated along a curve ##\vec r(t)## with some curve parameter ##t##. It holds that ##d\vec r = (d\vec r/dt) dt## and you can integrate between whatever parameter values you are interested in.

The integral is evaluated along a curve ##\vec r(t)## with some curve parameter ##t##. It holds that ##d\vec r = (d\vec r/dt) dt## and you can integrate between whatever parameter values you are interested in.
So, does that mean I would evaluate this like so? ## \int (\sum \vec{F} \cdot \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt})dt ##
I.e., evaluate the dot product of the the force and derivative of curve vectors, then integrate with respect to t.

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Yes