Evaluating the integral in spherical coordinates - how to do it correctly?

In summary, the integral ##\int d^3 p \ \exp(i \vec{p} \cdot \vec{x}) / \sqrt{|p| + m^2}## should be evaluated over all ##\mathbb{R}^3## using spherical coordinates. The integral should be rewritten as ##\int dp \ d\varphi \ d\theta \ p^2 \exp(i \vec{p} \cdot \vec{x}) / \sqrt{|p|^2 + m^2}##, with the range for the spherical variables being ##p \in (0,\infty)## and ##\varphi \in [0, 2 \pi], \theta \in [0
Tio Barnabe
I should evaluate ##\int d^3 p \ \exp(i \vec{p} \cdot \vec{x}) / \sqrt{|p| + m^2}## over all ##\mathbb{R}^3##. How can I do this in spherical coordinates? Since ##\vec{p}## is a position vector in ##\mathbb{R}^3##, our ##\vec{r}## of the spherical coordinates would be just equal to ##\vec{p}##, correct? (The same would be said of ##\vec{x}##, which we could call an ##\vec{r'}##.)

So the integral above would be re-written as ##\int dp \ d\varphi \ d\theta \ p^2 \exp(i \vec{p} \cdot \vec{x}) / \sqrt{|p| + m^2}##. I suppose that the correct range for our "spherical variables" is ##p \in (-\infty, \infty)## and ##\varphi, \theta \in [0, 2 \pi]##. Now the integral would then become ##4 \pi \int dp \ p^2 \exp(i \vec{p} \cdot \vec{x}) / \sqrt{|p| + m^2}##. How do I evaluate it?

EDIT: I don't need to give the final result, just to evaluate the last integral a little further.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, in spherical coordinates your volume element is $$dV=r^2\sin\theta d\theta d\phi,$$
so you are missing a factor of ##sin\theta##. Also ##p## will be ##p=|\vec{p}|##, so the limits are ##p\in (0,\infty)##. Furthermore, your range for ##\theta## should be ##\theta\in [0,\pi]##. I also believe that in your initial expression the denominator should be ##\sqrt{|p|^2+m^2}##, if now ##m## is a mass. Notice, also that the scalar product depends on ##\theta##. You orientate the coordinate system so that ##\vec{p}\cdot\vec{x}=px\cos\theta##.

Likes Tio Barnabe

What is a coordinate system?

A coordinate system is a mathematical framework used to represent and describe the position and orientation of objects in space.

Why would someone want to change coordinate systems?

There are several reasons why someone may want to change coordinate systems, such as to simplify calculations, align with a specific reference frame, or make measurements more accurate.

What are the common types of coordinate systems?

The most common types of coordinate systems are Cartesian, polar, cylindrical, and spherical. Each has its own set of axes and rules for representing positions and directions.

How do you convert between different coordinate systems?

To convert between different coordinate systems, you can use mathematical formulas or algorithms specific to each type of coordinate system. It's important to carefully follow the steps and pay attention to units and orientation.

How does changing coordinate systems affect data analysis?

Changing coordinate systems can affect data analysis in various ways. It can make certain patterns or relationships more apparent, simplify calculations, or introduce errors if not done properly. It's important to understand the implications of changing coordinate systems on the data being analyzed.