1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of de absolute value of a derivative

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    Hi!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to work out this integral, without success:

[itex]\int_{-a}^{a} (1-\left|x\right|/a) \frac{d^2}{dx^2}(1-\left|x\right|/a)[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution

I tried solving this by parts, but i'm stuck:

[itex]\int_{-a}^{a} (1-\left|x\right|/a) \frac{d^2}{dx^2}(1-\left|x\right|/a)[/itex]
    [itex]=(1-\left|x\right|/a) \frac{d}{dx}(1-\left|x\right|/a)|_{-a}^{a}- \int_{-a}^{a} (\frac{d}{dx}(1-\left|x\right|/a))^2[/itex]

Now, the first term seems to be wrong; the derivative of abs(x) is not defined, and with the second term, more of that. I tried to split the integral in two parts, for positive and negative x's, but that gives me 0. I think that result is wrong, because the function [itex](1-\left|x\right|/a) [/itex] is concave, and I'm expecting a positive second derivative.

Well, any input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(d/dx)[1-|x|/a] is +1/a for x < 0 and is -1/a for x > 0 (and is undefined at x = 0). If you feel confident applying integration by parts in the presence of such discontinuities, you can use the above to complete the calculation. Alternatively, you can regard |x|/a as the limit of sqrt(e+x^2/a^2) as e --> 0 from above, do the integral for finite e > 0, then take the limit in the final result.

RGV

4. Aug 25, 2011 #3
    Thanks a lot!

5. Aug 25, 2011 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Where's the dx in this integral? There is no infinitesimal integrating element in your integral.

6. Aug 26, 2011 #5
    It's called a typo.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook