Integral of de absolute value of a derivative

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
kurushishraqi
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hi!

Homework Statement



I'm trying to work out this integral, without success:

[itex]\int_{-a}^{a} (1-\left|x\right|/a) \frac{d^2}{dx^2}(1-\left|x\right|/a)[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution

I tried solving this by parts, but I'm stuck:

[itex]\int_{-a}^{a} (1-\left|x\right|/a) \frac{d^2}{dx^2}(1-\left|x\right|/a)[/itex]
[itex]=(1-\left|x\right|/a) \frac{d}{dx}(1-\left|x\right|/a)|_{-a}^{a}- \int_{-a}^{a} (\frac{d}{dx}(1-\left|x\right|/a))^2[/itex]Now, the first term seems to be wrong; the derivative of abs(x) is not defined, and with the second term, more of that. I tried to split the integral in two parts, for positive and negative x's, but that gives me 0. I think that result is wrong, because the function [itex](1-\left|x\right|/a)[/itex] is concave, and I'm expecting a positive second derivative.

Well, any input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
kurushishraqi said:
Hi!

Homework Statement



I'm trying to work out this integral, without success:

[itex]\int_{-a}^{a} (1-\left|x\right|/a) \frac{d^2}{dx^2}(1-\left|x\right|/a)[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution

I tried solving this by parts, but I'm stuck:

[itex]\int_{-a}^{a} (1-\left|x\right|/a) \frac{d^2}{dx^2}(1-\left|x\right|/a)[/itex]
[itex]=(1-\left|x\right|/a) \frac{d}{dx}(1-\left|x\right|/a)|_{-a}^{a}- \int_{-a}^{a} (\frac{d}{dx}(1-\left|x\right|/a))^2[/itex]


Now, the first term seems to be wrong; the derivative of abs(x) is not defined, and with the second term, more of that. I tried to split the integral in two parts, for positive and negative x's, but that gives me 0. I think that result is wrong, because the function [itex](1-\left|x\right|/a)[/itex] is concave, and I'm expecting a positive second derivative.

Well, any input would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

(d/dx)[1-|x|/a] is +1/a for x < 0 and is -1/a for x > 0 (and is undefined at x = 0). If you feel confident applying integration by parts in the presence of such discontinuities, you can use the above to complete the calculation. Alternatively, you can regard |x|/a as the limit of sqrt(e+x^2/a^2) as e --> 0 from above, do the integral for finite e > 0, then take the limit in the final result.

RGV