Integral of exponential absolute functions

In summary, the integral \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e{-(a|x|+ikx)}dx can be solved by using the explicit form of the absolute value and utilizing the symmetries involved. By doing so, the integral can be reduced to twice the integral from zero to infinity.
Wishe Deom
Hello,

I am having difficulty solving the following integral:

[tex]
\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e{-(a|x|+ikx)}dx
[/tex]

I have tried to use an explicit form of the absolute, eg.

[tex]
-(a|x|+ikx) = \left\{\stackrel{-(ik+a)x\ x>0} {-(ik-a)\ x<0}
[/tex]

Does this allow me to separate the integral into a sum of two integrals?[tex]
\int^{0}_{-\infty}e{-(ik+a)x}dx+\int^{\infty}_{0}e{-(ik+a)x}dx
[/tex]

This was my best guess, but the result I got did not converge, so either I did the integral improperly, or else this is not a legal method.

Would someone be so kind as to share their knowledge?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can but I think a better reduction is
[tex]e^{-a|x|+ ikx}dx= e^{-a|x|} e^{ikx}= e^{-a|x|}(cos(kx)+ i sin(kx))[/tex]
Then make use of the symmetries involved.
(I am assuming you mean that to be an exponent. You missed the "^" in your LaTex.)

Thank you.

So, by symmetry, the sin term dissappears, and the rest of the integral can be taken as twice the integral from zero to infinity?

Yes. In your original separation into two integrals, the exponent in the first term is wrong. It should be (a-ik)x. You had it right on the previous line.

1. What is the definition of an integral of exponential absolute functions?

The integral of an exponential absolute function is a mathematical concept that represents the area under the curve of an exponential function, taking into account both positive and negative values of the function. It is denoted by ∫|f(x)|dx.

2. How is the integral of exponential absolute functions calculated?

The integral of exponential absolute functions can be calculated using various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or using tables of integrals. It is important to apply the correct integration method based on the complexity of the exponential function.

3. What are the applications of integral of exponential absolute functions?

The integral of exponential absolute functions has various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to calculate the total displacement, velocity, and acceleration of a particle, as well as to model growth and decay in natural and social sciences.

4. Are there any special cases where the integral of exponential absolute functions can be simplified?

Yes, if the exponential function is even (symmetric about the y-axis) or odd (symmetric about the origin), the integral of the absolute value can be simplified to just the integral of the function without the absolute value. This is because the negative and positive areas of the function cancel out.

5. What are the limits of integration for the integral of exponential absolute functions?

The limits of integration for the integral of exponential absolute functions depend on the given function and the specific problem being solved. They can be determined by setting up the appropriate bounds based on the given function and the desired area under the curve.