Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of exponential over square root

1. Jul 5, 2015 #1
    Hello guys,
    How can I evaluate the following integral please?
    ##\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\frac{e^{i A x}}{\sqrt{x^2+a^2}}dx##
    Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2015 #2
    Use Euler to expand the complex exponential into cos() + i*sin().

Separate into two separate integrals. The integrand with sin() is odd, so its integral is ZERO.

Wolfram Alpha won't work the cos() integrand with a and A as symbols, but with a bit of plugging in numbers, one can quickly determine that the integral of the cos() integrand is 2*K0(a*A), where K0 is the modified Bessel function of the second kind. A good integral table would likely tell you that also.

Mathematica or Wolfram Alpha Pro would probably do the original integral.

4. Jul 5, 2015 #3
    Thank you Dr.Courtney

5. Jul 5, 2015 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am not familiar with Wolfram. However, it is easy enough to modify the integral to get rid of A or a, so that you have only one constant.

6. Jul 6, 2015 #5
    How? I'm curious :D

7. Jul 6, 2015 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Substitution ##u = Ax##. Then you just have to find an integral of the type ##\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{e^{ix}}{\sqrt{x^2 + C}}dx.##. Likewise, a good substitution will leave you with an integral of the type ##\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{e^{Cix}}{\sqrt{x^2 + 1}}dx.##

8. Jul 7, 2015 #7
    Ok thank you very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook