Integral of exponential over square root

• Thread starter newgate
  • Start date
Hello guys,
How can I evaluate the following integral please?
##\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\frac{e^{i A x}}{\sqrt{x^2+a^2}}dx##
Thank you

Answers and Replies

Dr. Courtney
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Hello guys,
How can I evaluate the following integral please?
##\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\frac{e^{i A x}}{\sqrt{x^2+a^2}}dx##
Thank you
Use Euler to expand the complex exponential into cos() + i*sin().

Separate into two separate integrals. The integrand with sin() is odd, so its integral is ZERO.

Wolfram Alpha won't work the cos() integrand with a and A as symbols, but with a bit of plugging in numbers, one can quickly determine that the integral of the cos() integrand is 2*K0(a*A), where K0 is the modified Bessel function of the second kind. A good integral table would likely tell you that also.

Mathematica or Wolfram Alpha Pro would probably do the original integral.

Likes newgate
Use Euler to expand the complex exponential into cos() + i*sin().

Separate into two separate integrals. The integrand with sin() is odd, so its integral is ZERO.

Wolfram Alpha won't work the cos() integrand with a and A as symbols, but with a bit of plugging in numbers, one can quickly determine that the integral of the cos() integrand is 2*K0(a*A), where K0 is the modified Bessel function of the second kind. A good integral table would likely tell you that also.

Mathematica or Wolfram Alpha Pro would probably do the original integral.
Thank you Dr.Courtney

mathman
Science Advisor
Thank you Dr.Courtney
I am not familiar with Wolfram. However, it is easy enough to modify the integral to get rid of A or a, so that you have only one constant.

Likes newgate
I am not familiar with Wolfram. However, it is easy enough to modify the integral to get rid of A or a, so that you have only one constant.
How? I'm curious :D

How? I'm curious :D
Substitution ##u = Ax##. Then you just have to find an integral of the type ##\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{e^{ix}}{\sqrt{x^2 + C}}dx.##. Likewise, a good substitution will leave you with an integral of the type ##\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{e^{Cix}}{\sqrt{x^2 + 1}}dx.##

Likes newgate
Substitution ##u = Ax##. Then you just have to find an integral of the type ##\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{e^{ix}}{\sqrt{x^2 + C}}dx.##. Likewise, a good substitution will leave you with an integral of the type ##\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \frac{e^{Cix}}{\sqrt{x^2 + 1}}dx.##
Ok thank you very much.