Integral of unit tangent vector equals arc length?

In summary, the conversation discusses the unit tangent vector and arc length integral of a given path c(t). The unit tangent vector is defined as c'(t) over the magnitude of c'(t), and the arc length integral is represented by the length of c(t). The conversation also clarifies that ds=c'(t)dt and that the dot product of c'(t) with itself is equal to the square of its magnitude.
ArcanaNoir

Homework Statement

Let c(t) be a path and T the unit tangent vector. What is [tex] \int_c \mathbf{T} \cdot d\mathbf{s} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The unit tangent vector of c(t) is c'(t) over the magnitude of c'(t) :
[tex] \mathbf{T} = \frac{c'(t)}{||c'(t)||} [/tex]

The length of c(t) can be represented by :
[tex] \int_c ||c'(t)|| \; dt [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \int_c \mathbf{T} \cdot d\mathbf{s} = \int_c \frac{c'(t)}{||c'(t)||} ... [/tex] d-something. dt I suppose.

But this is clearly not quite the arc length integral. So what am I missing? (the book says the answer is the length of c)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Arcana!

I guess you need that ##\mathbf{s} = \mathbf{c}(t)##.
That is, ##\mathbf{s}## is a point on the curve that is parametrized by ##\mathbf{c}(t)##.
What do you think ##\textrm{d}\mathbf{s}## is?

ds=c'(t)dt ?
But then I still have 1/magnitude, so still not quite there.

ArcanaNoir said:
ds=c'(t)dt ?

Yep.

But then I still have 1/magnitude, so still not quite there.

How so?
What do you get if you substitute ds=c'(t)dt?

(c'(t))^2 / llc'(t)ll dt

Yes.
And what is ##\mathbf{c}'(t) \cdot \mathbf{c}'(t)##?

is it 1 ? no

it's the same thing as we have under the square root (calculating...)
okay I am stuck

ArcanaNoir said:
is it 1 ?

No.
Suppose ##\mathbf{v}## is a vector.
Did you know that ##\mathbf{v} \cdot \mathbf{v} = ||\mathbf{v}||^2##?

oh. excellent observation. I see it now. thanks :)

1. What is the significance of the integral of unit tangent vector equaling arc length?

The integral of unit tangent vector equaling arc length is significant because it allows us to calculate the total length of a curved path. This is particularly useful in fields such as physics and engineering, where understanding the length of a trajectory or curve is important.

2. How is the integral of unit tangent vector related to the concept of arc length?

The integral of unit tangent vector is directly related to arc length. In fact, the integral of the magnitude of a vector function is equal to the arc length of the curve traced out by that vector function. This relationship is known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

3. Can the integral of unit tangent vector be used to find the length of any curve?

Yes, the integral of unit tangent vector can be used to find the length of any smooth curve. However, it is important to note that this method only applies to curves in two or three dimensions. In higher dimensions, other methods such as line integrals must be used to find the length of a curve.

4. How is the integral of unit tangent vector calculated?

The integral of unit tangent vector can be calculated using the formula ∫|v(t)|dt, where v(t) is the vector function describing the curve and t is the parameter along the curve. This integral can be evaluated using various integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts.

5. Are there any limitations to using the integral of unit tangent vector to find arc length?

While the integral of unit tangent vector is a useful tool for finding arc length, there are some limitations. This method only works for smooth curves, meaning that the curve cannot have any sharp corners or cusps. Additionally, the parameterization of the curve must be known or able to be determined in order to use this method.