How Do You Solve the Integral of x^2*sin(ax)dx?

• Thread starter Psyc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving the integral of x^2*sin(ax)dx using integration by parts. The correct method is used, but there are errors in the intermediate steps that lead to an incorrect answer. After some guidance and double-checking, the correct answer is obtained as (-x^2/a)*cos(ax)+((2x)/a^2)*sin(ax)+(2/a^3)*cos(ax).
Psyc
[SOLVED] Integral of x^2*sin(ax)dx

So, I'm a newb at Integration, especially by parts.

This is what I have
[tex]\int x^{2}sin(ax)dx[/tex]

I set:

u=x[tex]^{2}[/tex] and dv=sin(ax)dx

so I got:

du=2xdx and v=-cos(ax)/a

So then I put everything together

[tex]u*v- \int v*du[/tex]
[tex]-x^{2}*\frac{-cos(ax)}{a} - \int \frac{-cos(ax)}{a}*2xdx[/tex]
[tex]-x^{2}*\frac{-cos(ax)}{a} + 2\int \frac{-cos(ax)}{a}*xdx[/tex]

So that's pretty much where I get lost. I don't know what do do about the second integral.

I tried setting u = 2x and dv = cos(ax)/a * dx and I got

-x^2*cos(ax)/a - 2xsin(ax) - 2cos(ax)
but WebAssign (website where I submit homework) says that's wrong.

This is my first post here. I had some trouble with some other problems that I have so I googled them and most of the search results pointed me here.

So, any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Psyc, welcome to the forum.

The method you use is indeed the correct one. However you must pay attention to the minus signs. (It might be a typo error). Anyway the intermediate result should read:

[tex]-\frac{x^2}{a}cos(ax)+\frac{2}{a}\int {xcos(ax)dx}[/tex]

The second integral is obtained with the same method as the first one, which you have attempted, but was wrong due to the errors mentioned. You will get the right answer if you write everything down with a bit more care. Give it another try, you are almost at the correct answer.

Thanks for noticing that, I think signs are my number one weakness. I tend to look over stuff like that.

I fixed the sign but I don't know if once again I missed something or I'm entering it into the answer box incorrectly.
I've attached a screenshot.

Thanks

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,327
A good habit to get into is to always double-check your work. A partial checklist:
  • Do you have a well-formed formula? (Yes, you do)
  • Are the units correct? (not applicable here)
  • Does reverting the answer return the original problem? (No)

In this case, "reverting the answer" means taking the derivative of your answer. The derivative of
[tex]-\,\frac{x^2}{a}\cos(ax)+
\frac 2 a\left(\frac x a \sin(ax)-\,\frac 1 a \cos(ax)\right)[/tex]
with respect to x is
[tex]\left(x^2+\frac 2 a\left(\frac 1 a +1\right)\right)\sin(ax)[/tex]
which is not [itex]x^2\sin(ax)[/itex].

Psyc said:
Thanks for noticing that, I think signs are my number one weakness. I tend to look over stuff like that.

I fixed the sign but I don't know if once again I missed something or I'm entering it into the answer box incorrectly.
I've attached a screenshot.

Thanks

You've made the same mistake. Be carefull with the signs,

[tex]\int sin(ax) dx = - \frac{cos(ax)}{a}+C[/tex]

and take care of the brackets as you can see in D H's reply.
Believe me, you're almost there

I got someone else to look at it and I was apparently distributing the 2/a incorrectly and some other errors.

I got it all worked out and my answer was
(-x^2/a)*cos(ax)+((2x)/a^2)*sin(ax)+(2/a^3)*cos(ax)

Thanks for all of your help! :)

1. What is the formula for finding the integral of x^2*sin(ax)dx?

The formula for finding the integral of x^2*sin(ax)dx is ∫ x^2*sin(ax)dx = - (x^2/a) * cos(ax) + (2/a^2) * sin(ax) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do you solve the integral of x^2*sin(ax)dx?

To solve the integral of x^2*sin(ax)dx, you can use the formula ∫ x^2*sin(ax)dx = - (x^2/a) * cos(ax) + (2/a^2) * sin(ax) + C. First, integrate x^2 to get x^3/3, then use the power rule for the cosine and sine terms, and add the constant of integration, C.

3. What is the purpose of finding the integral of x^2*sin(ax)dx?

The purpose of finding the integral of x^2*sin(ax)dx is to determine the area under the curve of the function x^2*sin(ax). This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as calculating displacement or velocity in physics.

4. Can the integral of x^2*sin(ax)dx be evaluated using other methods?

Yes, there are other methods for evaluating the integral of x^2*sin(ax)dx, such as integration by parts or substitution. However, using the formula ∫ x^2*sin(ax)dx = - (x^2/a) * cos(ax) + (2/a^2) * sin(ax) + C is the most efficient and straightforward method for this particular integral.

5. How can I check if my solution for the integral of x^2*sin(ax)dx is correct?

You can check if your solution for the integral of x^2*sin(ax)dx is correct by taking the derivative of your solution and seeing if it matches the original function, x^2*sin(ax). You can also use online calculators or graphing tools to visualize and verify the solution.