Integral of x^(m-1)/(1+x) wrt x?

• Thread starter s0ft
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the equality of the integral \int_0^\infty\frac{x^{m-1}}{1+x} dx with \frac{\pi}{sin(m\pi)}, known as the "Euler reflection formula." The speaker has attempted various methods to prove the equality, including substitution, integration by parts, and series expansion, but has not been successful. They suggest trying special cases and analyzing the domain of convergence of the integral. The conversation also mentions the lack of an elementary primitive for the integral and provides references for further reading and possible proofs using contour integration in the complex domain.
s0ft
How does this:
[itex]\int_0^\infty\frac{x^{m-1}}{1+x} dx[/itex]
equal
[itex]\frac{\pi}{sin(m\pi)}[/itex]
?
It has been simply stated as a fact in a proof of the so called "Euler reflection formula" in a textbook.
I have tried the usual ways, substitution, integration by parts and even series expansion of 1/1+x but I can't find how the above equality is true.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you to first try on some special cases.
For example: m=1/2, m=3/2, m=1/4.
Then, also, analyze the domain of convergence of this integral.
Besides, I think there is no elementary primitive.
Have a look on the wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflection_formula .
Maybe you might prove the relation of your integral to the product [itex]\Gamma[/itex](m)[itex]\Gamma[/itex](1-m)

Far from obvious!
See pages 13-17

http://warwickmaths.org/files/gamma.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. So I guess I will just have to accept that as a fact. No easy and 'real' way to obtain the result without resorting to other forms of Gamma function.

1. What is the integral of x^(m-1)/(1+x) wrt x?

The integral of x^(m-1)/(1+x) wrt x is equal to ln(1+x)^(m-1) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do you solve the integral of x^(m-1)/(1+x) wrt x?

To solve the integral of x^(m-1)/(1+x) wrt x, you can use the substitution method or integration by parts. Both methods will result in the same answer.

3. Can the integral of x^(m-1)/(1+x) wrt x be simplified?

Yes, the integral of x^(m-1)/(1+x) wrt x can be simplified using logarithmic rules. You can also simplify the answer by expanding the logarithmic term using the power rule.

4. What is the domain of the integral of x^(m-1)/(1+x) wrt x?

The domain of the integral of x^(m-1)/(1+x) wrt x is all real numbers except -1. This is because the denominator cannot be equal to 0.

5. Is there a specific method to solve the integral of x^(m-1)/(1+x) wrt x?

There is no specific method to solve the integral of x^(m-1)/(1+x) wrt x. You can use any integration technique that you are comfortable with, such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions.