So Can you find the integral of \frac{3x^2-4x+5}{(x-1)(x^2+1)} \ dx?

• Thread starter optics.tech
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to finding the integral of a complex fraction. One approach involves manipulating the equation and splitting it into multiple integrals, while another approach uses the partial fraction method. The conversation also touches upon the derivative rule of inverse functions and how it can be applied to solve the integral of \frac{3}{1+x^2}.
optics.tech
Hi,

Can anyone tell me how can I find the integral of [tex]\frac{3x^2-4x+5}{(x-1)(x^2+1)} \ dx[/tex] ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I found a very nice way: what is the derivative of the denominator? Now write the numerator as that + something else and split into two integrations.

Im not sure if this is the easiest way to do it but u can manipulate the equation to

((x-3)/(x^2 +1))+ (2/x-1)
Then u split it up into a 3rd fraction so what you get is
(x/x^2 +1) -(3/x^2 +1) + (2/x-1) dx
then what u integrate i think u should get
1/2 ln (x^2 +1) - 1/3 ln (x^2 +1) + 2 ln (x-1) + c
I might have done something wrong since I am too lazy to double check but i think the general idea is enough for u to be able to do it.

Sorry i don't know how to draw the integral sign or fractions otherwise it could have been expressed with more clarity.

MrSparky said:
(x/x^2 +1) -(3/x^2 +1) + (2/x-1) dx
then what u integrate i think u should get
1/2 ln (x^2 +1) - 1/3 ln (x^2 +1) + 2 ln (x-1) + c

You're not entirely correct: -1/3 ln(x^2 + 1) gives - (2/3) x / (x^2 + 1) when differentiated, instead of - 3 / (x^2 + 1).

Your approach is probably possible though, although I humbly think that mine is easier ;)

CompuChip said:
You're not entirely correct: -1/3 ln(x^2 + 1) gives - (2/3) x / (x^2 + 1) when differentiated, instead of - 3 / (x^2 + 1).

Your approach is probably possible though, although I humbly think that mine is easier ;)

oops, guess i misread that part when working it out, but yea your method is most likely better than mine.

Sorry I have forgotten. If I am not wrong, it's a partial fraction:

[tex]\frac{3x^2-4x+5}{(x-1)(x^2+1)}=\frac{A}{x-1}+\frac{Bx+C}{x^2+1}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{A(x^2+1)+(Bx+C)(x-1)}{(x-1)(x^2+1)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{Ax^2+A+Bx^2-Bx+Cx-C}{(x-1)(x^2+1)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{(A+B)x^2-(B-C)x+A-C}{(x-1)(x^2+1)}[/tex]

[tex]A + B = 3 \ ...... \ (1)[/tex]

[tex]-(B-C)=-4 \ ...... \ (2)[/tex]

[tex]A-C=5 \ ...... \ (3)[/tex]

from equation 1, 2, and 3, I can obtain:

[tex]A=2, B=1, C=-3[/tex]

so the fraction can be modified as:

[tex]\frac{2}{x-1}+\frac{x-3}{x^2+1}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{2}{x-1}+\frac{x}{x^2+1}-\frac{3}{x^2+1}[/tex]

so

[tex]\int\frac{3x^2-4x+5}{(x-1)(x^2+1)} \ dx=\int(\frac{2}{x-1}+\frac{x}{x^2+1}-\frac{3}{x^2+1}) \ dx[/tex]

[tex]=2\int\frac{1}{x-1} \ dx+\int\frac{x}{x^2+1} \ dx-3\int\frac{1}{x^2+1} \ dx[/tex]

[tex]=2 \ ln(x-1)+\frac{1}{2} \ ln(x^2+1)-3 \ arctan \ x+C[/tex]

Is it correct?

Thanks in advance

Looks fine to me!
You can always do the differentiation and check that it works out :tongue:

It is and not only that it was the way I was going to tackle it yesterday if I'd of had time. Kudos.

I've not seen the ABC method before, I'd of done it manually myself. Interesting stuff.

I've not seen the ABC method before, I'd of done it manually myself. Interesting stuff.

Hi The Dagda,

You can find the "ABC" method in most of elementary calculus textbook called "partial fraction", I suggest you to search it in the index :biggrin:.

Thanks!

optics.tech said:
Hi The Dagda,

You can find the "ABC" method in most of elementary calculus textbook called "partial fraction", I suggest you to search it in the index :biggrin:.

Thanks!

They didn't teach it that way, but then my course wasn't standard. I have a maths textbook I bought separately though, I'll look it up, cheers.

The last part of above integration [tex](\int\frac{3}{1+x^2}dx)[/tex] is:

The Derivative Rule of Inverse Function:

[tex](f^{-1})'(x)=\frac{1}{f'(f^{-1}(x))}[/tex]

With

[tex]y=f(x)=tan \ x[/tex]
[tex]y^{-1}=f^{-1}(x)=tan^{-1}x[/tex]
[tex]y'=f'(x)=sec^2x[/tex]

So

[tex](f^{-1})'(x)=\frac{1}{sec^2(tan^{-1}x)}[/tex]

since

[tex]sec^2u=1+tan^2u[/tex]

then

[tex](f^{-1})'(x)=\frac{1}{sec^2(tan^{-1}x)}=\frac{1}{1+tan^2(tan^{-1}x)}[/tex]

also

[tex]tan(tan^{-1}x)=x[/tex]

again

[tex](f^{-1})'(x)=\frac{1}{sec^2(tan^{-1}x)}=\frac{1}{1+tan^2(tan^{-1}x)}=\frac{1}{1+x^2}[/tex]

therefore

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(tan^{-1}x)=\frac{1}{1+x^2}[/tex]

So

[tex]\int\frac{3}{1+x^2}dx[/tex]

[tex]=3\int\frac{1}{1+x^2}dx[/tex]

[tex]=3 \ tan^{-1}x + C[/tex]

[tex]=3 \ arctan \ x + C[/tex]

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a given interval.

What is the purpose of using integrals?

The main purpose of using integrals is to find the total value of a function over a given interval. It is also used to solve a variety of real-world problems, such as finding the area, volume, and average value of a function.

What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral will give a specific numerical value, while an indefinite integral will give a general formula with a constant added.

What are some common applications of integrals?

Integrals have many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They can be used to solve problems involving motion, optimization, and probability, among others.

What are the different types of integrals?

The three main types of integrals are definite, indefinite, and improper integrals. Other types include line integrals, surface integrals, and volume integrals, which are used in multivariable calculus.