Integral representation of the delta function

In summary: Therefore δ(t-t')=\frac{1}{2\pi}∫ dω exp(iω(t-t'))*f(t') and δ(t)+δ(t')=2\pi∫ dω exp(iωt).If you have to think pointwise, consider ∫ δ(t-t')f(t') dt'=f(t), agreed?And iFT{FT{f(t')}}(t)=∫ dω exp(iωt) \frac{1}{2\pi}∫ exp(-iωt')f(t')
thomas49th

Homework Statement

http://gyazo.com/7b2a903b6b3165595b8766d3540f43d9

What is this really saying? I can see that a functino is the inverse Fourier transform of the Fourier transform... and it doesn't matter which way round you integrate. Is that all it's saying. What's the difference between f(t) and f(t')

Thanks
Thomas

Physics news on Phys.org
Fourier transform is a linear integral transform that maps a function f to F, inverse FT maps back to f. So iFt{Ft{f}}=f for all f (that satisfies blah blah blah ...), therefore iFt{Ft{.}} is an identity transformation, i.e., delta function.

I get what you mean all upto

therefore iFt{Ft{.}} is an identity transformation, i.e., delta function.

?? what is the dot meant to represent? How does it become a delta func?

thomas49th said:
I get what you mean all upto

therefore iFt{Ft{.}} is an identity transformation, i.e., delta function.

?? what is the dot meant to represent? How does it become a delta func?

Sorry my bad notation. FT{.} is a integral operator that acts on functions, where the dot is replaced by a function f, i.e., FT{f} means Fourier transform of function f. iFT{FT{.}} is the composition of the operator iFT and FT, i.e., successively applying the two operators. Since successively applying the two ops to f gives back f, the composition of the two ops is the identity operator, i.e., delta function. Remember delta function is defined as an integral operator which, when applied to a function f, gives back f.

ahhh
"delta function is defined as an integral operator which, when applied to a function f, gives back f."

i didn't really think of it like that. But the delta function only works as an identity function a specific instant in time. So it only works for a function at a particular point agreed?

edit: We can aproximate a function using a train of diracs (shannon sampling or some baloni like that). But to say it's a true identity ... only for a specific instant

thomas49th said:
ahhh
"delta function is defined as an integral operator which, when applied to a function f, gives back f."

i didn't really think of it like that. But the delta function only works as an identity function a specific instant in time. So it only works for a function at a particular point agreed?

edit: We can aproximate a function using a train of diracs (shannon sampling or some baloni like that). But to say it's a true identity ... only for a specific instant

If you have to think pointwise, consider ∫ δ(t-t')f(t') dt'=f(t), agreed?
And iFT{FT{f(t')}}(t)=∫ dω exp(iωt) [itex]\frac{1}{2\pi}[/itex]∫ exp(-iωt')f(t') dt'=f(t), agreed?
Now note ∫ dω exp(iωt) [itex]\frac{1}{2\pi}[/itex]∫ exp(-iωt')f(t') dt'=∫ [[itex]\frac{1}{2\pi}[/itex]∫ dω exp(iω(t-t'))]*f(t') dt', comparing the two, you find δ(t-t')=[itex]\frac{1}{2\pi}[/itex]∫ dω exp(iω(t-t'))

1. What is the integral representation of the delta function?

The integral representation of the delta function is a mathematical expression used to describe this function in terms of an integral. It is defined as the limit of a sequence of functions that have a peak at the origin and approach zero everywhere else.

2. How is the integral representation of the delta function useful in mathematics?

The integral representation of the delta function is useful in mathematics because it allows us to simplify certain calculations and solve problems involving discontinuous functions. It also has applications in physics, engineering, and signal processing.

3. What are the properties of the integral representation of the delta function?

The integral representation of the delta function has several key properties, including symmetry, scaling, and translation invariance. It is also an even function, has an area of 1 under the curve, and can be used to represent the derivative of the Heaviside step function.

4. Can the integral representation of the delta function be generalized to higher dimensions?

Yes, the integral representation of the delta function can be extended to higher dimensions. In one dimension, it is represented as a Dirac delta function. In two or three dimensions, it is represented as a Dirac delta function in each dimension, multiplied together to form a multidimensional delta function.

5. How is the integral representation of the delta function related to the concept of impulse in physics?

The integral representation of the delta function is closely related to the concept of impulse in physics. In physics, an impulse is a sudden change in momentum, and the integral representation of the delta function can be used to model this sudden change. It is also used to represent point masses in mechanics and point charges in electromagnetism.