Integral Substitutions and Mathematica

In summary, my professor gave us integrals that Mathematica can't do, and I'm trying to figure out how to do them. I've tried a few different u substitutions, but I'm stuck. Any help is appreciated.
zared619
Hi all. My professor gave us some integrals that Mathematica can't do, and we have to teach Mathematica how to do them. I got the first two, but I'm stuck with the u substitutions for these six. I know that I am supposed to make an attempt at a solution, but I've tried several different u substitutions to no avail. Sorry for the formatting.
Any help is appreciated

3.. ∫(x sin x ln(x sin x))/(1-Sqrt[1-Sqrt[x sin x]]) (x cos x + sin x)\[DifferentialD]x

4. ∫(cos x -x sin x) Sqrt[x cos x] Sqrt[1+x^3 cos^3 x]\[DifferentialD]x

5. ∫((1+ln x) Sqrt[1+x ln x])/Sqrt[x ln x] \[DifferentialD]x

6. ∫(1-2/x^3)Sqrt[1-(x+1/x^2)^2]\[DifferentialD]x

7. ∫(1+ln x)Sqrt[1-x^2(ln x)^2]\[DifferentialD]x

8. ∫x^x Sqrt[x ln x](1+ln x)\[DifferentialD]x

Note: My professor said that #8 will include a function called Erfi[x]. I have no idea what that is.

Again, any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
zared619 said:
Hi all. My professor gave us some integrals that Mathematica can't do, and we have to teach Mathematica how to do them. I got the first two, but I'm stuck with the u substitutions for these six. I know that I am supposed to make an attempt at a solution, but I've tried several different u substitutions to no avail. Sorry for the formatting.
Any help is appreciated

3.. ∫(x sin x ln(x sin x))/(1-Sqrt[1-Sqrt[x sin x]]) (x cos x + sin x)\[DifferentialD]x

The combination [itex]x \sin x[/itex] occurs frequently here as an argument to other functions and, by fortune or design, the derivative of [itex]x \sin x[/itex] is [itex]x \cos x + \sin x[/itex].

This suggests [itex]u = x \sin x[/itex] as a first substitution, although further substitutions may be necessary.

Similar first substitutions suggest themselves for the others, although further substitutions might be necessary.

zared619 said:
Any help is appreciated

4. ∫(cos x -x sin x) Sqrt[x cos x] Sqrt[1+x^3 cos^3 x]\[DifferentialD]x

5. ∫((1+ln x) Sqrt[1+x ln x])/Sqrt[x ln x] \[DifferentialD]x

6. ∫(1-2/x^3)Sqrt[1-(x+1/x^2)^2]\[DifferentialD]x

7. ∫(1+ln x)Sqrt[1-x^2(ln x)^2]\[DifferentialD]x

8. ∫x^x Sqrt[x ln x](1+ln x)\[DifferentialD]x

Note: My professor said that #8 will include a function called Erfi[x]. I have no idea what that is.

Again, any help is appreciated.
For #3, I've reduced it, with some algebra, to [itex]\frac{1}{4i}\int\frac{(xe^{ix}-xe^{-ix})(ln(x)+ln(e^{ix}-e^{-ix})-ln(2i))((x-i)e^{ix}+(x+i)e^{-ix})}{1-\sqrt{1-(\frac{1}{2}-\frac{i}{2})\sqrt{xe^{ix}-xe^{-ix}}}}dx[/itex]. However, it looks a little...complex. [/lolsofunnymathpunsftw]

I think a u-sub of some complex exponential might be good, but I can't be sure until I try.

Thanks for all the help so far. I really appreciate it. This isn't due until Friday in U.S time, but I will try some of your suggestions.

1. What is an integral substitution?

An integral substitution is a technique used in calculus to simplify complex integrals by replacing the original variable with a new variable. This new variable, known as the substitution variable, is chosen in such a way that it transforms the original integral into a simpler form that can be easily evaluated.

2. How do you perform an integral substitution?

To perform an integral substitution, follow these steps:

1. Identify the substitution variable by looking for a part of the integrand that resembles a function and its derivative.
  2. Replace the identified variable with the substitution variable.
  3. Find the derivative of the substitution variable.
  4. Substitute the derivative and the new variable into the integrand.
  5. Simplify the integral and evaluate it.

3. What is the advantage of using integral substitutions?

The advantage of using integral substitutions is that they can simplify complex integrals and make them easier to evaluate. They can also help to solve integrals that cannot be solved using other integration techniques.

4. How does Mathematica handle integral substitutions?

Mathematica is a powerful software program that can handle integral substitutions automatically. It uses a variety of built-in algorithms and rules to identify the substitution variable and perform the necessary steps to simplify the integral. This can save a lot of time and effort compared to solving integrals by hand.

5. Are there any limitations to using integral substitutions in Mathematica?

While Mathematica is very efficient at handling integral substitutions, there are some limitations. It may not be able to find a substitution for every integral, and some substitutions may result in more complex integrals that cannot be evaluated. In these cases, it may be necessary to use other integration techniques or solve the integral by hand.