1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral Substitutions and Mathematica

1. Mar 5, 2013 #1
    Hi all. My professor gave us some integrals that Mathematica can't do, and we have to teach Mathematica how to do them. I got the first two, but I'm stuck with the u substitutions for these six. I know that I am supposed to make an attempt at a solution, but I've tried several different u substitutions to no avail. Sorry for the formatting.
    Any help is appreciated

3.. ∫(x sin x ln(x sin x))/(1-Sqrt[1-Sqrt[x sin x]]) (x cos x + sin x)\[DifferentialD]x

4. ∫(cos x -x sin x) Sqrt[x cos x] Sqrt[1+x^3 cos^3 x]\[DifferentialD]x

5. ∫((1+ln x) Sqrt[1+x ln x])/Sqrt[x ln x] \[DifferentialD]x

6. ∫(1-2/x^3)Sqrt[1-(x+1/x^2)^2]\[DifferentialD]x

7. ∫(1+ln x)Sqrt[1-x^2(ln x)^2]\[DifferentialD]x

8. ∫x^x Sqrt[x ln x](1+ln x)\[DifferentialD]x

Note: My professor said that #8 will include a function called Erfi[x]. I have no idea what that is.

Again, any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Mar 6, 2013 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

The combination [itex]x \sin x[/itex] occurs frequently here as an argument to other functions and, by fortune or design, the derivative of [itex]x \sin x[/itex] is [itex]x \cos x + \sin x[/itex].

This suggests [itex]u = x \sin x[/itex] as a first substitution, although further substitutions may be necessary.

Similar first substitutions suggest themselves for the others, although further substitutions might be necessary.

5. Mar 6, 2013 #4
    For #3, I've reduced it, with some algebra, to [itex]\frac{1}{4i}\int\frac{(xe^{ix}-xe^{-ix})(ln(x)+ln(e^{ix}-e^{-ix})-ln(2i))((x-i)e^{ix}+(x+i)e^{-ix})}{1-\sqrt{1-(\frac{1}{2}-\frac{i}{2})\sqrt{xe^{ix}-xe^{-ix}}}}dx[/itex]. However, it looks a little...complex. [/lolsofunnymathpunsftw]

I think a u-sub of some complex exponential might be good, but I can't be sure until I try.

6. Mar 6, 2013 #5
    Thanks for all the help so far. I really appreciate it. This isn't due until Friday in U.S time, but I will try some of your suggestions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted