Integral, Trig Substitution - Stuck

In summary, the conversation discusses using trigonometric substitution to evaluate the integral of x^2 over the square root of 9-x^2. The process involves making a substitution and simplifying the expression before finding the antiderivative and relating it back to x. The conversation also mentions checking the solution by taking the derivative.
phyzmatix

Homework Statement

Use trigonometric substitution to evaluate

[tex]\int{\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{9-x^2}}}dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [tex]x=3\sin\theta[/tex]
then [tex]dx=3\cos\theta d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int{\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{9-x^2}}}dx[/tex]

[tex]=\int{\frac{9\sin^2\theta}{3\sqrt{1-\sin^2\theta}}}\ 3\cos\theta \ d\theta[/tex]

[tex]=\int{\frac{9\sin^2\theta}{3\sqrt{\cos^2\theta}}}\ 3\cos\theta \ d\theta[/tex]

[tex]=\int{9\sin^2\theta \ d\theta}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{9}{2} \int{(1-\cos2\theta)}\ d\theta[/tex]

let [tex]w=2\theta[/tex]
then [tex]dw=2\ d\theta[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{9}{4} \int{(1-\cos w)}\ dw[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{9}{4}[w-\sin w] + c \ \mbox{(substituting everything back in)}[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{9}{4}[2\sin^{-1}(\frac{x}{3})-\sin(2\sin^{-1}(\frac{x}{3})]+c[/tex]

Is this correct so far? And if so, now what?

I'm stumped :redface:

Thanks!
phyz

Physics news on Phys.org
Your integration seems fine. I would clean up your substitution at the end. Use:

[tex]sin2 \theta = 2 sin \theta cos \theta[/tex]

Well at this step:

[tex] =\frac{9}{2} \int{(1-\cos2\theta)}\ d\theta [/tex]

you could just find the antiderivative rather easily without another substitution. Then you can just relate theta to x instead of relating w to theta to x.

After you get the antiderivative in terms of x, that's pretty much it. Take the derivative to check.

linearfish said:
Your integration seems fine. I would clean up your substitution at the end. Use:

[tex]sin2 \theta = 2 sin \theta cos \theta[/tex]

That's exactly what I needed. Thank you very much! :smile:

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is used to find the total quantity or amount of something, such as distance, volume, or mass.

2. What is a trig substitution?

Trig substitution is a technique used to simplify and solve integrals involving trigonometric functions. It involves substituting trigonometric identities and expressions for other variables in the integral.

3. How do I know when to use a trig substitution?

You can use a trig substitution when you have an integral that involves a radical expression, a quadratic expression, or an expression with both a squared and a constant term. You can also use trig substitution when the integral contains trigonometric functions.

4. What do I do when I get stuck on a trig substitution problem?

If you get stuck on a trig substitution problem, try to simplify the integral by using trigonometric identities or performing algebraic manipulations. You can also refer to a table of trigonometric identities or consult with a classmate or teacher for help.

5. How do I check if my answer is correct for a trig substitution problem?

You can check your answer by taking the derivative of your solution and comparing it to the original integrand. If the two are the same, then your answer is correct. You can also use an online integral calculator to verify your solution.