1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral using partial fractions

1. Oct 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\int \frac{xdx}{x^3-1}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Having difficulties with this one.
    I managed to break it down to two partial fractions, being [itex]x-1[/itex] and [itex]x^2+x+1[/itex] but couldn't make anything out of it.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, x3 - 1 = (x - 1)(x2 + x + 1), but what did you get for your partial fractions? They should look like this:
    [tex]\frac{A}{x - 1}~+~\frac{Bx + C}{x^2 + x + 1}[/tex]
    You should have/will need to find the values for A, B, and C.

4. Oct 29, 2009 #3
    Sorry, forgot.

I ended up having this:

[tex]\frac{1}{3} \int \left(\frac{1-x}{x^2+x+1} + \frac{1}{x-1} \right)dx[/tex]

the right part is easy, it's ln|x-1|, but the left part is what's bothering me. Tried completing the square, separating it into 2 different integrals, nothing helps.

5. Oct 29, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

[tex] \left(\frac{1-x}{x^2+x+1} \right)[/tex]
    [tex]=~(-1/2)~\frac{(2x - 1) - 1}{x^2 + x + 1}[/tex]
    Now split this up into two fractions, and integrate each. The first one you can solve by substition, with u = x2 + x + 1.

The second one is a little harder, as you will have to complete the square to get the denominator in the form (x + <something>)2 + <something else>. The idea here is that
    [tex]\int \frac{du}{u^2 + a^2}~=~(1/a)tan^{-1}(u/a) + C[/tex]

6. Oct 30, 2009 #5
    You had a small mistake here, it should be (2x+1)-3 and not (2x-1)-1.

But thanks! It helped me solve it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook