1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral variable substitution for removing singularity

1. Jan 10, 2012 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi! In an assignment I have reached an integral that has the form:
    [itex]\int\frac{A+Bx+Cx^2}{Dx+Ex^2}[/itex]
    where A-E are constants, the integration variable is x and the limits are 0 to 1. I'm supposed to remove the singularity at x=0 by substitution.

A-E have values but they're long and complicated and I hope they're not necessary to solve the problem. And sadly, no - I can't go backwards to complete squares or anything...

The attempt at a solution
    This might be an easy question, but I really don't know what to substitute x for. I've tried squares, roots, inverted squares and roots, ln and exponential functions... but they all end up with the same singularity at 0. I don't know how to get around this. Is there any good way to figure out how to substitute in order to "remove" a singularity, in general?

Help and hints would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

/Jennifer

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try the following. Not sure how well it works for the whole problem.

Let u = 1/x . Of course that's equivalent to x = eu .

4. Jan 10, 2012 #3
    Suggestion: Divide using long, polynomial division and rewrite the integral :)

5. Jan 10, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That still leaves a singularity at x=0.

6. Jan 10, 2012 #5
    Ahh. Thanks for your suggestions, they made me re-track my steps. And yep, I left out the part that the whole fraction is under a square root as well :tongue: That changes things a bit!

Substituting x with u2 seems to do the trick now! Phew :redface:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook