Finding the Anti-Derivative of sin(x)cos(cos(x))

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate the integral $\int{\sin{x}\cos{\left(\cos{x}\right)}}dx$ using the substitution $u=\cos(x)$ and then back-substituting for $x$ to find the anti-derivative in terms of the original variable. The final result is $-\sin(x\cos(x))+C$.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
Evaluate the Integral
$
\displaystyle
\int{\sin{x}\cos{\left(\cos{x}\right)}}dx
$
I am clueless with this; I thot maybe the $\cos{\left(\cos{x}\right)}$(Tauri)
would be somehow be a $d/dx$ of $\sin{x}$ but perhaps there is another way

Physics news on Phys.org
Try the substitution:

\(\displaystyle u=\cos(x)\)

Now you should get something you can integrate directly. :D

Try this substitution: $u=\cos(x)$, $du=-\sin(x)dx$.

EDIT: Ok, Mark beat me but I want to keep this post since I started replying before he posted! :p

Jameson said:
Try this substitution: $u=\cos(x)$, $du=-\sin(x)dx$.

EDIT: Ok, Mark beat me but I want to keep this post since I started replying before he posted! :p

so then

$\displaystyle
-\int \cos{\left(u\right)} du = \sin{\left(u\right)}
$

kinda easy... if correct:cool:

karush said:
so then

$\displaystyle
-\int \cos{\left(u\right)} du = \sin{\left(u\right)}
$

kinda easy... if correct:cool:

You have a sign error...

And then...don't forget the constant of integration and then back-substitute for $u$. :D

$\displaystyle -\int \cos{\left(u\right)} du = -\sin{\left(u\right)}+C$

karush said:
$\displaystyle -\int \cos{\left(u\right)} du = -\sin{\left(u\right)}+C$

Now you want to back-substitute for $u$ so that you have the anti-derivative in terms of the original variable $x$.

FAQ: Finding the Anti-Derivative of sin(x)cos(cos(x))

1. What is an integral with cos(cos x)?

An integral with cos(cos x) is a type of integral where the function being integrated contains a nested cosine function. This means that the argument of the cosine function is itself another cosine function.

2. How do you solve an integral with cos(cos x)?

To solve an integral with cos(cos x), you can use the substitution method or integration by parts. You first substitute the inner cosine function with a new variable, then use trigonometric identities to simplify the integral and solve it using basic integration techniques.

3. What is the general formula for an integral with cos(cos x)?

The general formula for an integral with cos(cos x) is ∫cos(cos x)dx = sin(x) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

4. Can an integral with cos(cos x) be solved using any other methods?

Yes, an integral with cos(cos x) can also be solved using the power reduction formula, which states that cos²(x) = (1 + cos(2x))/2. This can help simplify the integral and make it easier to solve using basic integration techniques.

5. What are the applications of integrals with cos(cos x)?

Integrals with cos(cos x) have applications in physics, particularly in studying oscillatory motion. They can also be used in engineering and signal processing to analyze and model periodic signals. Additionally, they have applications in calculating areas and volumes in calculus and geometry.