Integrals and exponential growth problem

In summary: If you don't find the error, post more of your work so we can look for the error.In summary, in this conversation, Cal Q Luss is trying to memorize 60 derivative/integral formulas in 3 hours before an exam. According to psychologists, the rate of memorization is proportional to the number of remaining facts. This is modeled by the equation dy/dt = k(60-y), where k is a positive constant. Cal knows no facts initially. The solution for y as a function of t is -y+60 = Ce^kt, where C is the constant of integration. For Cal, if he memorizes 15 formulas in the first 20 minutes, he will memorize 30 formulas in
ringo123

Homework Statement

Before the AP exam Cal Q Luss has 3 hours to cram: during this time, he wants to memorize a set of 60 derivative/integral formulas. According to psychologists, the rate at which a person can memorize a set of facts is proportional to the number of facts remaining to be memorized . Thus if he memorizes y facts in t minutes, the model would be:
dy/dt = k(60-y) where k is a positive constant

Initially, Cal knows no facts.

A. Write an equation for y as a function of t.
B. If he memorizes 15 formulas in the first twenty minutes, how many facts will he memorize in:
a. 1 hour
b. 3 hours

Homework Equations

I'm guessing A=Pe^rt?

The Attempt at a Solution

I did separation of variables and I got that
Code:
-y-60=e^kt
but I don't know what to do after that.

Physics news on Phys.org
ringo123 said:

Homework Statement

Before the AP exam Cal Q Luss has 3 hours to cram: during this time, he wants to memorize a set of 60 derivative/integral formulas. According to psychologists, the rate at which a person can memorize a set of facts is proportional to the number of facts remaining to be memorized . Thus if he memorizes y facts in t minutes, the model would be:

B. If he memorizes 15 formulas in the first twenty minutes, how many facts will he memorize in:
a. 1 hour
b. 3 hours

Homework Equations

I'm guessing A=Pe^rt?

Code:
-y-60=e^kt

You're close, but your solution is not quite right. For one, you made a minus sign mistake: it should still be -(60-y) or -(y-60), depending on which of y or 60 is initially greater, not -y-60. This error will affect the sign of your exponentially, too. You also forgot the constant of integration.

Once you've fixed those errors, you need to use the data you are given to figure out the values of the constants you don't know.

ringo123 said:

Homework Statement

a. 1 hour
b. 3 hours

Homework Equations

I'm guessing A=Pe^rt?

Code:
-y-60=e^kt

Before trying to do anything, stop and perform a simple reality test. If you put t = 0 in your solution you get y = -60; this cannot be right, because y ≥ 0. So, you made an error somewhere, and trying to go further with your present "solution" would only make things worse.

You need to go back and check your work.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. How is an integral related to exponential growth?

An integral is often used to model and analyze exponential growth problems. This is because the integral can be used to find the total value of a function that is growing at an exponential rate over time.

3. Can integrals be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, integrals are used extensively in various fields of science and engineering to solve real-world problems. They are used to model and analyze various processes such as population growth, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions.

4. What are some common techniques for solving integrals?

Some common techniques for solving integrals include substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. These techniques help to simplify the function and make it easier to integrate.

5. How do I know when to use an integral in a problem?

Integrals are typically used when trying to find the total value of a function over a given interval, or when trying to find the area under a curve on a graph. If the problem involves a function that is changing or growing over time, an integral may be necessary to solve it.