1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrals over a transformed region

1. Nov 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the change of variables x = x(u, v) = uv and y = y(u, v) =u^3+v^3

Compute the area of the part of the x-y plane that is the transform of the unit square in the
    2nd quadrant of the u-v plane, which has one corner at the origin. (Since the transformation
    is 1:1 on the second quadrant (assignment 6), the area equals the integral over the square of
    the absolute value of the determinant of the Jacobian of the transformation.)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I computed the Jacobian to be 3v^3-3u^3. Then, since I just needed to integrate over a square, I did
    ∫[itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex]∫[itex]^{0}_{-1}[/itex] 3v[itex]^{3}[/itex]-3u[itex]^{3}[/itex] du dv. I keep getting 0 as an answer, but that just doesn't seem right, am I misunderstanding the question?

also, sorry if my formatting is confusing, I don't really know how to make the integrals look pretty

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't get zero. Try writing out the steps in more detail. I think you're getting a sign wrong.

4. Nov 14, 2012 #3
    Wow...yea, i got a sign mixed up and ended up with .75-.75 instead of .75+.75. I got 1.5 as an answer, which sounds much more reasonable, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook