Integrals over a transformed region

• Thread starter mcafej
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the problem asks to compute the area of the transformed unit square in the second quadrant of the u-v plane, using the change of variables x = uv and y = u^3 + v^3. The area is equal to the absolute value of the determinant of the Jacobian of the transformation, integrated over the square. The Jacobian is 3v^3 - 3u^3, and the correct integral is ∫^{1}_{0}∫^{0}_{-1} 3v^{3}-3u^{3} du dv. The mistake was due to a sign error, resulting in an incorrect answer of 0 instead of the correct answer of 1.5.
mcafej

Homework Statement

Consider the change of variables x = x(u, v) = uv and y = y(u, v) =u^3+v^3

Compute the area of the part of the x-y plane that is the transform of the unit square in the
2nd quadrant of the u-v plane, which has one corner at the origin. (Since the transformation
is 1:1 on the second quadrant (assignment 6), the area equals the integral over the square of
the absolute value of the determinant of the Jacobian of the transformation.)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I computed the Jacobian to be 3v^3-3u^3. Then, since I just needed to integrate over a square, I did
∫[itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex]∫[itex]^{0}_{-1}[/itex] 3v[itex]^{3}[/itex]-3u[itex]^{3}[/itex] du dv. I keep getting 0 as an answer, but that just doesn't seem right, am I misunderstanding the question?

also, sorry if my formatting is confusing, I don't really know how to make the integrals look pretty

Physics news on Phys.org
mcafej said:
∫[itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex]∫[itex]^{0}_{-1}[/itex] 3v[itex]^{3}[/itex]-3u[itex]^{3}[/itex] du dv. I keep getting 0 as an answer
I don't get zero. Try writing out the steps in more detail. I think you're getting a sign wrong.

Wow...yea, i got a sign mixed up and ended up with .75-.75 instead of .75+.75. I got 1.5 as an answer, which sounds much more reasonable, thanks.

1. What is the purpose of integrating over a transformed region?

Integrating over a transformed region allows us to change the variables in an integral to make the calculations easier. This can be especially useful when the original region is complex or difficult to work with.

2. How do you transform a region for integration?

To transform a region, we use a change of variables. This involves substituting new variables in place of the original ones, and then using the Jacobian determinant to adjust for the change in scale.

3. What is the Jacobian determinant and why is it important in transforming regions for integration?

The Jacobian determinant is a mathematical term used to describe the change in scale when transforming variables. It is important in integration because it helps us adjust for the change in variables and ensures that our calculations are accurate.

4. Can you give an example of integrating over a transformed region?

One example of integrating over a transformed region is using a polar coordinate transformation to integrate over a circular region. This allows us to simplify the integral and solve it more easily.

5. Are there any limitations to integrating over a transformed region?

Yes, there are limitations to integrating over a transformed region. The transformation must be one-to-one and have a continuous inverse in order for the integral to be valid. Additionally, the region must be bounded and have a non-zero Jacobian determinant.