Solving Integrals from -∞ to ∞

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of writing an integral from -∞ to ∞ as a limit and the conditions under which this is true. It is mentioned that the lower bound is independent of the upper bound and that the limit is known as the principal value of the integral. The conversation also considers a specific integral involving an even function and discusses whether the integral is zero or not. It is concluded that the argument holds if |f(x)| is integrable over the entire real line, otherwise the integral is indeterminate.
Niles
Hi all

If I have an integral from -∞ to ∞, then is it always true that we can write it as a limit? I.e. if we have a continuous function f, then is it always true that

[tex]
\int_{ - \infty }^\infty {f(x)dx = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{N \to \infty } \int_{ - N}^N {f(x)dx} }
[/tex]
?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the lower bound is independent of the upper bound, it is actually:

[tex]lim_{N -> \infty, M -> -\infty}\int^{N}_{M}f(x)dx[/tex]

But if this limit exists then it equals the expression as you wrote it.

Your limit is called the principal value (p.v.) of the integral.

Thanks for the swift response. What if I have e.g.

[tex]
\int_{ - \infty}^\infty {f(x)\sin xdx}
[/tex]
where I know that f is an even function? I wish to argue that the integral is zero since it runs over a symmetric interval, but I am not sure if - ∞..∞ is a symmetric interval? That is why I tried writing the limits, but if they are independent, then I am not quite sure my argument holds.

Last edited:
Niles said:
Thanks for the swift response. What if I have e.g.

[tex]
\int_{ - \infty}^\infty {f(x)\sin xdx}
[/tex]
where I know that f is an even function? I wish to argue that the integral is zero since it runs over a symmetric interval, but I am not sure if - ∞..∞ is a symmetric interval? That is why I tried writing the limits, but if they are independent, then I am not quite sure my argument holds.

The argument holds as long as |f(x)| is integrable over the entire real line. If not, then the integral you want is indeterminate.

1. What is the purpose of solving integrals from -∞ to ∞?

The purpose of solving integrals from -∞ to ∞ is to find the total area under a curve that extends infinitely in both directions. This is useful in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you solve integrals from -∞ to ∞?

To solve integrals from -∞ to ∞, you can use various integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. You can also use software programs or online calculators to compute the integral numerically.

3. Are there any special rules for solving integrals from -∞ to ∞?

Yes, there are special rules for solving integrals from -∞ to ∞. One important rule is that the function being integrated must approach zero as x approaches ∞. This ensures that the integral is well-defined and converges.

4. Can integrals from -∞ to ∞ have a finite value?

Yes, integrals from -∞ to ∞ can have a finite value, as long as the function being integrated approaches zero as x approaches ∞. If this condition is not met, the integral will diverge and have an infinite value.

5. In what real-world scenarios would you need to solve integrals from -∞ to ∞?

Integrals from -∞ to ∞ are commonly used in physics to calculate the total area under a velocity-time graph, which represents the displacement of an object over time. They are also used in economics to calculate the total profit or loss from a continuous function. Additionally, integrals from -∞ to ∞ can be used in engineering to find the total energy or power of a system.