What is the solution set for dy/dx = 3y?

• Thread starter intenzxboi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the set of all solutions for a differential equation dy/dx = 3y. The technique used is separation of variables, where the equation is rearranged to the form f(y)dy = g(x)dx and then integrated on both sides. The resulting function is in the form y = Ce^3x, with C being a constant. The conversation also mentions that the natural logarithm function is used in this process. The proof of this method is also provided.
intenzxboi
can some one explain to me how the set of all solutions for dy/dx = 3y
is.
y= Ce^3x

Physics news on Phys.org
Simply separate the variables.
[tex]
\begin{align*}
\frac{dy}{dx} & = 3y \\
\frac 1 y \frac dy dx & = 3 \\
\int \left(\frac 1 y\right) \left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right) \, dx & =\int 3 \, dx
\end{align*}
[/tex]

You should be able to finish from here.

Try rearranging your equation to get it in the form f(y)dy=g(x) dx. Then integrate both sides.

This type of differential equation technique is called 'separation of variables'

i got y= e^3x + e^c

how does that become y= Ce^3x

Instead of e3x + eC, you should have gotten e3x + C = e3xeC = C' e3x

(Here, C' = eC. After all, eC is just a constant.)

o ok thanks got it.

this is variable separable. c is constant, then you can make it In c so that when using the e function, In c become only c.

darkmagic said:
this is variable separable. c is constant, then you can make it In c so that when using the e function, In c become only c.
The function is LN, not IN. The letters come from Latin: logarithmus naturalis.

Here's a proof of the general case that I got from Courant's Introduction to Calculus and Analysis. This is one of my favourite proofs:

"If a function y = f(x) satisfies an equation of the form [tex] y' = \alpha y [/tex] where [tex] \alpha [/tex] is a constant, then y has the form [tex] y = f(x) = ce^{\alpha x} [/tex] where c is also a consant; conversely, every function of the form [tex] ce^{\alpha x} [/tex] satisfies the equation [tex] y' = \alpha y [/tex].

It is clear that [tex] y = ce^{\alpha x} [/tex] satisfies this equation for any arbitrary constant c. Conversely, no other function satisfies the differential equation [tex] y' - \alpha y = = [/tex]. For if y is such a function, we consider the function [tex] u = ye^{-\alpha x} [/tex]. We then have

[tex] u' = y'e^{-\alpha x} - \alpha y e^{-\alpha x} = e^{-\alpha x}(y' - \alpha y}) .[/tex]

However, the right-hand side vanishes, since we have assumed that [tex] y' = \alpha y [/tex]; hence [tex] u' = 0 [/tex] so that u is a constant c and [tex] y = ce^{\alpha x} [/tex] as we wished to prove."

yes its ln but I type In. Sorry.

What is "Integrate dy/dx"?

"Integrate dy/dx" is a mathematical process used to find the antiderivative of a function. It is also known as integration, and is the inverse operation of differentiation. It involves finding a function whose derivative is the original function.

Why is "Integrate dy/dx" important?

"Integrate dy/dx" is important because it allows us to find the area under a curve, which has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also helps us solve differential equations, which are used to model many real-world phenomena.

How is "Integrate dy/dx" different from "Differentiate dy/dx"?

"Integrate dy/dx" and "Differentiate dy/dx" are two different mathematical operations. Integration involves finding the antiderivative of a function, while differentiation involves finding the derivative of a function. In other words, integration is the reverse of differentiation.

What are the different methods for "Integrate dy/dx"?

There are several methods for "Integrate dy/dx" including the power rule, u-substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. The method used depends on the complexity of the function and the desired outcome.

How can I improve my skills in "Integrate dy/dx"?

To improve your skills in "Integrate dy/dx", it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different integration techniques. You can also seek help from a tutor or refer to online resources and textbooks for additional practice problems and examples.