1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrate sin(a*x^2) from -a to a

1. May 22, 2008 #1
    Hey all, this should be a simple integral, but I cant seem to solve it. I tried some simple u-subs and integration by parts, but to no avail. Also, maple throws out some Fresnel function.

[tex]\int_{-a}^{a} x^{2} cos\left( a x^{2} \right) dx[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

Well, that should tell you it doesn't have an anti-derivative expressible in terms of elementary functions.

4. May 22, 2008 #3
    I was hoping that perhaps it had a nice representation due to the limits of integration.

edit: I also don't particularly trust maple, as there have been times in the past where it couldn't do integrals that I could. (or perhaps I am using it wrong)

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  5. May 22, 2008 #4
    From the looks of it, it's symmetric, so you can change the limits of integration from 0 to a and multiplying your integral by 2. Idk if that helps at all or not :p

6. May 22, 2008 #5
    This is not a homework question. I am not a student. Please move the question back to the appropriate forum.

7. May 22, 2008 #6

Defennder

Homework Helper

Well if it were an odd function, we would be able to conclude that the answer is 0 without having to work out the anti-derivative. But this is an even function.

By the way, if you want your thread to be moved back you should request a PF mentor by private messaging to do so.

8. May 22, 2008 #7
    >> syms x;
    >> f = x^2*cos(x^2);
    >> int (f,x)

ans =

1/2*sin(x^2)*x-1/4*2^(1/2)*pi^(1/2)*FresnelS(2^(1/2)/pi^(1/2)*x)

>> int(f,x,-1,1)

ans =

sin(1)-1/2*2^(1/2)*pi^(1/2)*FresnelS(2^(1/2)/pi^(1/2))

Matlab did same ><
    I wanted to prove that Matlab is better

"edit: I also don't particularly trust maple, as there have been times in the past where it couldn't do integrals that I could. (or perhaps I am using it wrong)"
    sometimes, you need to put the function in integrable form ... (computer's dun think)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?