1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrate with multiple variables in denominator?

1. Mar 20, 2013 #1
    Hey everyone, I need to do the following integral. I just need a little help getting this started, I'm not sure where I need to go. Here is the problem:

[itex]\int_{0}^{1-v} du \int_{0}^{\frac{1}{2}} dv \frac{1}{1+u^2-v^2} [/itex]

I think I have the boundaries for the integral set up correctly, {0≤v≤1/2, 0≤u≤1-v}.
    I know that I will have to use [itex]\int dx \frac{1}{c^2+x^2} = \frac{1}{c}tan^ {-1}\frac{x}{2}[/itex]

I began by trying to substitute 1-v^2 as a variable, but then I had to try to integrate tan^-1 with a bunch of square roots in it and that got really bad looking pretty quickly. Thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I would try a change of coordinates, like x = u+v, y = u-v. The region gets a little more complicated but it's not too bad. Don't forget the Jacobian.

4. Mar 20, 2013 #3
    The original problem wants to change it from x and y to terms of u and v. I.e., x=u-v, y=u+v.

5. Mar 20, 2013 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Could you give us the original question with the original region?

6. Mar 20, 2013 #5
    Sure, [itex]\int\int_{D}{} \frac{1}{1+xy} dxdy[/itex] D={(x,y);0≤x≤1,0≤y≤1}, x=u-v, y=u+v. That's all I am given.

7. Mar 20, 2013 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Follow what harup said and at least calculate your jacobian.

##dxdy = \frac{∂(x, y)}{∂(u, v)}dudv##

8. Mar 20, 2013 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ok, then you need to look at what you can substitute for v after the first integration. You have ##\frac1{\sqrt{1-v^2}} atan(\sqrt\frac{1-v}{{1+v}})##, right? Let ##\theta = atan(\sqrt\frac{1-v}{{1+v}})##, so ##tan^2(\theta) =\frac{1-v}{1+v}##. When you see tan-squared, what do you think of?

9. Mar 20, 2013 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That integration range doesn't match what you have in u, v coordinates in the OP.

10. Mar 20, 2013 #9
    [itex] \int_{v}^{1-v} [/itex]

I think I had that part wrong.

11. Mar 21, 2013 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It gets a bit messy. Something like v from -1/2 to +1/2, u from |v| to 1-|v|.
    Did you figure out what to do with the tan-squared?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted