Integrate x^2/(1+4•x^2)? Partial fractions

In summary, when integrating x^2/(1+4x^2), you do long division to get 1/4 + remainder. The remainder is -1/4, so the final integral is 1/4x - 1/8 arctan(2x) + C.
randoreds
One last question

to Integrate x^2/(1+4•x^2). I would assume you would do long division but 4x^2 is bigger than x^2. so would you either pull out a 1/4 and it would be 1/4 ∫ x^2/(1/4+•x^2) dx or would the first term when doing long division be 1/4? or am I just totally wrong and you wouldn't do long division because the top is smaller than the bottom?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you do a long division and you get 1/4 + remainder. What is the remainder?

voko said:
Yes, you do a long division and you get 1/4 + remainder. What is the remainder?

Ok, finished it but it was ugly. And I think I messed up my algebra somewhere.
your remainder ends up being -1/4 so you get∫ 1/4 +( -1/4/ (1+4x^2))so I decided to pull out the 4 to get the form x^2+a^2 so you get 1/4x + ∫-1/4 / (4((1/4)+x^2)) --> -1/16∫ 1/((1/4)+x^2) -->-1/16(1/(1/2)) times arctan(x/(1/2)) + C
So my final answer is

1/4 X - 1/8 arctan(2x) + C

If someone could check my math, I would be so thankful!

Your result is correct.

1. What is the purpose of using partial fractions in the integration of x^2/(1+4•x^2)?

The purpose of using partial fractions in the integration of x^2/(1+4•x^2) is to simplify the original integral into smaller, more manageable fractions. This makes it easier to integrate and find the solution.

2. How do you decompose x^2/(1+4•x^2) into partial fractions?

To decompose x^2/(1+4•x^2) into partial fractions, you need to factor the denominator and set up equations with unknown constants for each factor. Then, you solve these equations to find the values of the constants and rewrite the original integral as a sum of these partial fractions.

3. What are the common types of partial fractions that can be used in the integration of x^2/(1+4•x^2)?

The common types of partial fractions that can be used in the integration of x^2/(1+4•x^2) are linear factors, quadratic factors, and repeated linear factors.

4. What are the steps for integrating x^2/(1+4•x^2) using partial fractions?

The steps for integrating x^2/(1+4•x^2) using partial fractions are as follows: 1. Factor the denominator into linear and/or quadratic factors. 2. Set up equations with unknown constants for each factor. 3. Solve the equations to find the values of the constants. 4. Rewrite the original integral as a sum of the partial fractions. 5. Integrate each partial fraction separately. 6. Combine the solutions to get the final answer.

5. Can partial fractions be used to solve any type of integral?

No, partial fractions can only be used for integrals where the denominator can be factored into linear and/or quadratic factors. They cannot be used for integrals with irrational functions or transcendental functions.